Warranty

I purchased a diesel heater on eBay and didn't fit it for some months when I did I found the pump to be faulty, I contacted the seller but got no response. My experience with sellers on eBay is sometimes so frustrating all sellers should be made to list a contact address and phone number.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Warranty

@pauls_bartering wrote:

Hind sight is a wonderful thing and yes you're right I should have waited till I was ready to fit it.

Lesson learnt.

Ebay should still be bound by Australian consumer law, and I will never leave feedback until I have made sure that the items are all ok.

Actually - you should NOT have waited.

And this is also ' limited '.

You can leave Feedback for up to 60 days from the date you received your item or from the expected delivery date, whichever comes first. If no expected delivery date is provided, you have up to 90 days from when you completed your purchase to leave Feedback for the seller.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Guess what,  sellers are required to provide  their contact details address and identity,  but they are required to provide this info to ebay,  not you or any other buyer who who feels agrieved.

There are some absolute wackos out there.

Wasn,t there a case where some wacko drove right across the USA to kill a seller that they were not happy with.  Dont recall if it was ebay related or not.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

There certainly was one on here last year who threatened to travel from here to the USA to do that very thing over a CD

But by all means, sellers should happily expose themselves to all buyers, including those kinds of buyers, rather than the buyer needing to follow basic eBay policies which are there to make sure any issues are found in the favour 99% of the time

Only fair 

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@pauls_bartering wrote:

Hind sight is a wonderful thing and yes you're right I should have waited till I was ready to fit it.

Lesson learnt.

Ebay should still be bound by Australian consumer law, and I will never leave feedback until I have made sure that the items are all ok.

Unless the seller is a REGISTERED AUSTRALIAN BUSINESS, they are not bound by Australian Consumer Law. I am a small seller and ACL does not apply to me, nor a lot of sellers who frequent these forums. I can basically do what I like (within reason of course!). Pretty much all the sellers who frequent these forums are decent and honest sellers, myself included, but no way would I be offering any return or refund after "some months" because you didn't check the item on arrival.

You stuffed up. You should have tested the item when you received it, not "some months later". The seller is not obligated to help you. They fulfilled their end of the transaction. Had you discovered when you received it that it was faulty, then yes, you would have had grounds for return and refund, but not "some months later".

As for feedback, I couldn't care less if you left it or not. In fact, I actually prefer buyers don't. It means I don't have to leave useless feedback for them. I don't get my jolly's from a green dot on a screen. It's not like I can take that green dot out for dinner. Feedback means nothing to me.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Well - that's not quite true.

Nearly every thread concerning any problem contains ' did you check the seller's feedback ' prior to buying.

You may not be able to take it out to dinner but it does affect your sales.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@pauls_bartering wrote:

I purchased a diesel heater on eBay and didn't fit it for some months when I did I found the pump to be faulty, I contacted the seller but got no response. My experience with sellers on eBay is sometimes so frustrating all sellers should be made to list a contact address and phone number.

There are a few things going on here.

Number 1 is you let it go for several months. Even if you bought from a retail store, you may have been knocked back as most places have a limit on how  long you have to return a faulty item. In some cases, it might only be a month.

After that passes, you're more or less making a claim on the warranty.

Problem 2 is the idea of the warranty. The length of a warranty differs between brands and items and what a lot of buyers don't realise is that quite a few sellers on ebay are offering useless warranties. There's no way to enforce it, especially if you buy from an overseas seller. Even the aussie seller warranties can be iffy. You have to be very careful who you buy from.

Basically, you're better off not buying something like a diesel heater on ebay. or a phone. Or anything where you'd hope to have a warranty or after sales service. I know that advice is pretty useless for this purchase but hold it in mind for the future so you can avoid frustration.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply