Watched items , Sellers increase the price on items that are being watched

Thought I was just imagining things but recently I have started to add a Note to a Watched item stating the price at the time I put it on my Watch List after noticing that the prices on some items seem to differ to what I first saw them listed at .

3 out of the 20 odd items prices have since been increased ( not relisted items either )  Why would Sellers do this ? Do they think that when they get watchers the item/s are worth more etc.

I'm a bit perplexed by it . I understand that goods might increase etc but these are current listings , not a big deal in the scope of things but it does stop me from buying from them .

Is this common ? Does it work for Sellers ( ie once interest is generated do they really get more sales from such tactics ? )

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

well I guess it's a bit like the Super Specials at Coles or Woolies each week.

sure, for today only you can buy THIS at a super cheap, 1/2 price, Special Offer, 

but that same can of drink or packet of cereal will be back on the shelf at full price on Monday.

on eBay maybe a seller tries to entice a quick sale with a Super Special opening price, perhaps to generate a bit of quick cash on the day,  but when no one picks it up at that price in a day or 2, it goes back intp their store at the 'normal' [read higher] price.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

That's the whole idea,it stops you from buying from them as the seller doesn't want you to buy from them so the price goes up as all you are is a window shopper to the seller.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

If you really want the item put a minimum bid on it and then they cannot change anything including the price, you can always put a higher maximum or snipe nearer the end. Some inexperienced sellers think a large number of watchers means several people are interested so they think they may be able to ask a higher start price, as long as there are no bids they are allowed to do that just as you are allowed to bid or not if the price has increased.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I increase and decrease my item priced all the time depending how many watchers it has. Works for me so I am not tempted to change my practice.

Always wise to place a bid on those items you are interested in fir exactly this reason.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:
I increase and decrease my item priced all the time depending how many watchers it has. Works for me so I am not tempted to change my practice.

Always wise to place a bid on those items you are interested in fir exactly this reason.

There are many reasons why a seller will increase or decrease the price of an item. If several items have recently sold at auction for a much higher price than a similar buy it now, it indicates the BIN may be too cheap.  As a single person operator I need to keep busy all of the time to generate a reasonable living from ebay. I use pricing as one technique to regulate sales volumes.  I charge the maximum I reasonably can and if I am too busy ( cant keep up ) the prices go up a bit to slow sales down. The reverse happens when things are slow. Prices come down a bit to stimulate sales. I usually only have to adjust 10% either way to make a difference. If I have several of the same item and they are selling like hot cakes it means there is plenty of demand or they are too cheap. Either way the price goes up to slow sales and gain the maximum price. If sales are a bit slow I may list a few items on the cheaper side to generate sales and traffic through the stores. Once sales pick back up the price goes up again. Like all businesses, Ebay sellers aim to make a profit in a very competative market place. Succesfull businesses need to have a whole range of techniques in the toolbox to ensure they can make a comfortable living. Pricing technique is just one of those tools.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

yes I have similar practices.

My response was related to the OPs question.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I've noticed some shop sellers have specials on their items, but usually if that is the case, then it clearly shows when the special will end.

I haven't found many auction prices change mid stream, but then again, I haven't been watching many lately.

I was looking at some granny flats a while back and was surprised to see one that failed to sell after a couple of rounds  was then relisted at a $5000 higher price, but with a 'make an offer' available. I as a bit surprised at the $5000 jump, as that was 25% higher than the original. It didn't sell, as far as I know.

A couple of times I have bought things from ebay shop sellers, only to see them go on special a week or so later.Smiley Frustrated

Makes me feel stroppy.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I am just about over sellers that do this. Too many times, I have asked a question and find because I have expressed an interest, the price has jumped.......when that happens. I will not bid.....feels like a bait and switch!
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I wouldn't bid either, not if they put the price up before the end of the auction. I know it's their right, but it would put my back up.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply