Weird Paypal transaction to Ebay

I made a purchase over the weekend and the Paypal transaction was strange, instead of showing the sellers details the email says "You authorised a payment to eBay". I don't have any seller account, so I can't understand why I would paying to Ebay.

I never received any Paypal receipt from the seller and there's no transaction in my account, only this Ebay one for the same amount. It says "Payment to Ebay" and "Authorisation to eBay" but there are no other details about the item number, seller, description of what it's for etc.

The seller has shipped my item, so this seems a bit weird.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Weird Paypal transaction to Ebay

The seller is probably on the new Managed Payments system that could account for the wording of it.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/the-roll-out-of-ebay-managed-payments/m-p/2343883#M201435

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The seller is probably on the new Managed Payments system that could account for the wording of it.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/the-roll-out-of-ebay-managed-payments/m-p/2343883#M201435

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

That might explain it, although I purchased from them a couple of weeks back and it went through as normal.

For a buyer, this is terrible from a record keeping point of view. No way to search our Paypal history for previously purchased items. and in the case of sellers who don't provide printed invoices/receipts the Paypal email is now useless too.

If buying items for work purposes who do we put down as the supplier, Ebay or the seller? Paypal and any printed invoice are going to show conflicting information too.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@spicy-pickles wrote:

That might explain it, although I purchased from them a couple of weeks back and it went through as normal.

For a buyer, this is terrible from a record keeping point of view. No way to search our Paypal history for previously purchased items. and in the case of sellers who don't provide printed invoices/receipts the Paypal email is now useless too.

If buying items for work purposes who do we put down as the supplier, Ebay or the seller? Paypal and any printed invoice are going to show conflicting information too.

Sellers who signed up for Managed Payments only started being migrated over to it very recently - a few weeks ago everyone was on the previous system.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@spicy-pickles wrote:

If you go to your purchase history can you still click on "view order details" ?  If so the information you want should be there.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

That is correct, however I can't see any way to search purchase history and although it seems to now go back further than I remember, the limit is 2 years.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@spicy-pickles wrote:

That is correct, however I can't see any way to search purchase history and although it seems to now go back further than I remember, the limit is 2 years.

I just checked mine and it goes back to January 2018 whereas before it used to go back 3 years I believe.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply