Went to Buy an item &&&&&&

Hi all,  I went to Buy an item this week, (sorry still looking for the item no.)  and was happy to purchase, BUT WHEN I READ FURTHER, the Seller stated that any Purchase over $10 paid for with PayPal, must be SENT Registered, as per PayPal Policy.

Well, l looked and looked, but unless l was looking in the wrong place, l could not find this requirement by PayPal.

I did notice that the Seller stated that if l paid by Direct Bank Deposit, this PayPal Rule, did not apply.  Is this something "New". Or am l missing something ?  (not the first time for me, ha, ha.)

Can somebody clarify this "claim" for me please ?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Went to Buy an item &&&&&&

@collect247 wrote:

Letters can't be sent with tracking but parcels can so if it is sent as a large letter then that needs to be sent registered post as proof of postage to paypal if a claim is made against the seller.

I am aware of that, but that is not what the OP was questioning about the seller's terms. If the seller had said that if the item is to be sent as a letter, then it must be registered, that would make sense. But that is not what the original seller stated.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

The original seller stated:

that any Purchase over $10 paid for with PayPal, must be SENT Registered.They didn't say if the item was to be posted as a letter, it must be sent registered. Anyway, you can't register a parcel, you can only now pay for SOD (signature on delivery). So the seller doesn't know what they are talking about.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@*mobile63* wrote:

"Seller stated that any Purchase over $10 paid for with PayPal, must be SENT Registered, as per PayPal Policy"

Much has changed over the years and although this may not apply to your seller, many long term sellers haven't changed their terms and conditions for years.

Ebay Australia hasn't always had seller protection. When it was first introduced many years ago it stated:

PayPal has also

introduced additional protection for eligible sellers through a new Seller Protection

Policy, at no additional cost to sellers. Under the Seller Protection Policy, PayPal can

provide protection to eligible sellers for unauthorized payments, and for "item not

received" disputes where the seller can provide proof of shipment of the item through

an approved postage service and other information, as required by PayPal.

In this event, sellers will be entitled to retain the funds.

The requirement of 'Proof of Shipment' in providing protection to sellers

is met by sellers' sending items via Australia Post Registered Post

At the time, pinks (ebay staff) used to post on the boards.

They were constantly being asked if a seller was allowed to list an item with the terms " Buyers who pay by Paypal must pay for registered mail" and their answer was always " Yes, a seller is allowed to write that in their listings".

I am not about to trawl through the Paypal and ebay regs to find it but the right to have that in a seller's terms was recinded many years ago. Regardless of Paypal's terms it breaches ebay's as it is seen as discouraging the use oof Paypal.

If the seller offers a choice of regular and SOD (registered for letters) then the buyer is perfectly entitled to choose the cheaper option then pay with Paypal. The only way the seller could get any further payment would be to refund and re-invoice or ask for a separate payment both of which could be reported to ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

"the right to have that in a seller's terms was recinded many years ago"

Yes I know it was. I apologise if my post made it look as if it was still allowed.

By saying " many long term sellers haven't changed their terms and conditions for years", I was trying to point out how those terms originated.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply