Went to Buy an item &&&&&&

Hi all,  I went to Buy an item this week, (sorry still looking for the item no.)  and was happy to purchase, BUT WHEN I READ FURTHER, the Seller stated that any Purchase over $10 paid for with PayPal, must be SENT Registered, as per PayPal Policy.

Well, l looked and looked, but unless l was looking in the wrong place, l could not find this requirement by PayPal.

I did notice that the Seller stated that if l paid by Direct Bank Deposit, this PayPal Rule, did not apply.  Is this something "New". Or am l missing something ?  (not the first time for me, ha, ha.)

Can somebody clarify this "claim" for me please ?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

An item must be sent with tracking for the seller to have seller protection. If items are sent large letter, then they should be registered, so they can be tracked. Some sellers are happy to send less expensive items untracked via large letter, forfeiting their seller protection. If it's an item that will go in a parcel, then there is no registered parcel any more as they automatically come with tracking anyway. The seller is trying to cover himself. If you buy the item and it is sent registered and then you put in a claim for non arrival, then the seller can fight the decision if the tracking says delivered.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Registered post is still available and I believe it is "signature on delivery" - currently $3.70 for a letter and $2.95 for a parcel on top of the postage cost.  Tracking of parcels is not always accurate and even when an item states it is "delivered", there can still be an issue.  As I understand it is only the "signature on delivery" which demonstrates non-disputable delivery ....... Others may have more information on this.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@old.corner.shop wrote:

Hi all,  I went to Buy an item this week, (sorry still looking for the item no.)  and was happy to purchase, BUT WHEN I READ FURTHER, the Seller stated that any Purchase over $10 paid for with PayPal, must be SENT Registered, as per PayPal Policy.

Well, l looked and looked, but unless l was looking in the wrong place, l could not find this requirement by PayPal.

I did notice that the Seller stated that if l paid by Direct Bank Deposit, this PayPal Rule, did not apply.  Is this something "New". Or am l missing something ?  (not the first time for me, ha, ha.)

Neither of the replies you have received actually answer your question. There is no such requirement for items paid for by Paypal that they MUST be registered. This is simply not true.

There is a difference between registration and tracking. I wonder if this is where the seller is getting confused? Or if they are just covering themselves in case of loss?

If you are really keen on the item, ask the seller to point you to the Paypal requirement - in writing -  that all purchases over $10 paid for by PP must be registerred. They will not be able to.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

@old.corner.shop wrote:

Neither of the replies you have received actually answer your question. There is no such requirement for items paid for by Paypal that they MUST be registered. This is simply not true.

There is a difference between registration and tracking. I wonder if this is where the seller is getting confused? Or if they are just covering themselves in case of loss?

If you are really keen on the item, ask the seller to point you to the Paypal requirement - in writing -  that all purchases over $10 paid for by PP must be registerred. They will not be able to.

Thank you eaglesdtp, Because l have looked high and low, and l cannot find this "PayPal Requirement", l look at so mant interesting things here on ebay, that l thought that l had written thw item no. down somewhere. I may still find it yet.

It was just that l had seen another Seller state something very similar in another Listing, so l thought that the times are a changing with PayPal. Everything that l have sold for over $25, l have always sent with AP Tracking, often eating the cost myself, as a bit of an insurance policy, so to speak.  Never had a claim against me, lucky l guess.

Thank you, you have hit the question fairly on the head.  Let us see what others have to say.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I'm curious as to why it doesn't have to be sent by registered mail

if you use bank deposit.

Avoiding Paypal fees maybe?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

If bank deposi is used the buyer cannot open an Item Not Received claim anyway so there is no need for the seller to cover themselves as they would have to with a paypal claim.

All the seller is doing is making sure he has seller protection in the event of a claim by the buyer.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I'd avoid the seller if possible, as it is clear from this tactic they are more concerned with their own interests than the customer's, and they are too dumb to realise that the better seller makes the most money. Their clain is either a deliberate lie or sheer bloody ignorance, and neither are good qulaities in a trading partner.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

*mobile63*
Community Member

"Seller stated that any Purchase over $10 paid for with PayPal, must be SENT Registered, as per PayPal Policy"

Much has changed over the years and although this may not apply to your seller, many long term sellers haven't changed their terms and conditions for years.

Ebay Australia hasn't always had seller protection. When it was first introduced many years ago it stated:

PayPal has also

introduced additional protection for eligible sellers through a new Seller Protection

Policy, at no additional cost to sellers. Under the Seller Protection Policy, PayPal can

provide protection to eligible sellers for unauthorized payments, and for "item not

received" disputes where the seller can provide proof of shipment of the item through

an approved postage service and other information, as required by PayPal.

In this event, sellers will be entitled to retain the funds.

The requirement of 'Proof of Shipment' in providing protection to sellers

is met by sellers' sending items via Australia Post Registered Post

At the time, pinks (ebay staff) used to post on the boards.

They were constantly being asked if a seller was allowed to list an item with the terms " Buyers who pay by Paypal must pay for registered mail" and their answer was always " Yes, a seller is allowed to write that in their listings".

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Letters can't be sent with tracking but parcels can so if it is sent as a large letter then that needs to be sent registered post as proof of postage to paypal if a claim is made against the seller.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply