What do I do now?

jusli_16
Community Member
Against my better judgement I bought an item from a risky seller, of course it was fake. After a few days the listing was removed but I can still see the purchase, not the original listing for the item itself as it has been deleted and according to Ebay the item was never shipped however the seller did ship an item, but said item was not the item I purchased. It was a significantly less value than the item itself, and it definitely did not match the description of the original listing

I’ve already initiated a refund, but I’m not too sure how to proceed from here any tips would be welcome, keep the item as evidence or ship it back? Or have I already lost my money?
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What do I do now?

I take it you have opened INAD in the resolution centre, so you need to follow the steps they provide you with, do not return the item unless they advise it.

Have no more contact with the seller as this will all be done via the dispute

You should be able to find the item in your purchase history - if it is not showing check that you have selected the correct time frame from the drop down menu

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

What do I do now?

As mentioned, if you haven't already done so, open a dispute for item not as described through eBay. To do that, go to the item in your puchase history, click on the dropdown at the right and select "report a problem" (I think that's what it says, but you'll work it out if it's worded differently). Follow the prompts and also as mentioned, do not return the item until instructed to by eBay.

At this stage you haven't lost your money, but you need to do everything exactly by the book. Come back if you need more help, and someone here can advise. You shoud be fine though, because eBay sides with buyers 99% of the time, as long as you follow the dispute rules.

Good luck!

Edit: Is it the seller you left feedback for that eBay have now shut down? If so, you should get a refund pretty quickly. Escalate as soon as it allows (as eBay to step in and help). Mention in the dispute that the seller is no longer registered.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

What do I do now?

jusli_16
Community Member
I should add this but I got the button to report a problem with the item, with the “I want a refund” or “I want my item” option, I picked I want my item and immediately after seller sent me a refund for some reason should I be worried?
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

What do I do now?

OK, clearly it's been a looooooooong time since I've had to open a dispute! I completely cacked up the instructions. Go to the dropdown at the right, select contact seller, then select I received an item that wasn't described. There should then be a button to contact seller. If not, there could be a link to ask for a refund.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

What do I do now?

@jusli_16 wrote:
I should add this but I got the button to report a problem with the item, with the “I want a refund” or “I want my item” option, I picked I want my item and immediately after seller sent me a refund for some reason should I be worried?

If you've been refunded, the seller obviously doesn't want the item back. Use it or bin it.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

What do I do now?

@jusli_16 wrote:

The seller sent you a refund? A full refund? If so, that's fantastic, and no you shouldn't be worried, you should be happy. There have been a number of buyers recently who have lost more than you by scammers. I'm really pleased you weren't one of them.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

What do I do now?

@davewil1964 wrote:

@jusli_16 wrote:

If you've been refunded, the seller obviously doesn't want the item back. Use it or bin it.

If it's the seller the OP left the feedback for, they are NARU, after being a member since Feb 17 2021. A very short lived attempt at scamming!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply