What really is FREE POSTAGE ?

I have been reading the many comments given in the light of ebay's delve, into the "cost" Sellers charge to post a said item. Without bringing up all that has already been mentioned, l am a bit confused now.  What l have been watching was a Video Card for a PC, Seller had it for BIN @ $7.95 with Postage added of $5.95    Same Seller now has same item BIN @ $16.95 FREE POSTAGE.

So looking at that example, l fail to see any FREE POSTAGE there at all.   Is is better to still show the actual cost of postage, along with the actual cost of the said item ?  Do ebay still "profit" no matter what out of the cost of postage to the said Buyer , which the Buyer is paying for.

I myself feel that it is not right to have a Seller claim you are getting FREE POSTAGE, when in reality, that is NOT THE CASE.

Just my thoughts though. Thank you.

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: What really is FREE POSTAGE ?

Lets not forget the sellers that DO give free postage.

Sometimes when I'm in a good mood and the buyer is very nice, I will give free postage out of my profit.

And if they turn out to be nearby, I will even personally deliver it F.O.C.

Makes everyone feel happy and that flows onwards.

The way the world should work, me thinks.

Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 11 of 55
Latest reply

Helen - there is nothing illegal about businesses incorporating delivery costs into the selling price. It is business expense and is no different to any other expense a business takes into consideration when setting a selling price.

There are plenty of big independent websites which offer free shipping so free shipping is not a concept unique to eBay. There are also plenty who offer subsidised shipping which means they are probably including some of the shipping cost in the item price.
Message 12 of 55
Latest reply

The Chinese do pay postage, It is much less than ours because the standard of living there is so much lower.

They do not get it free.

Message 13 of 55
Latest reply

@jensmanchester wrote:
Helen - there is nothing illegal about businesses incorporating delivery costs into the selling price. 

It is, or can be, if it's advertised as "Free Postage", though, which is the major bone of contention on eBay in that a seller doesn't have a choice about how they advertise 'no more to pay'.

It comes under exactly the same regulations as other business practices, such as advertising an RRP that the item is never sold at and saying 50% off etc. Or doubling the price for a single item and then advertising "Buy one get one free".

A business can not advertise that something is "free" when it is not. If the price of something is inflated to account for the cost of the supposedly free thing, it's not allowed. 

But exclusively online businesses can hide that practice a lot better than other businesses can, when it comes to postage costs, anyway.

Message 14 of 55
Latest reply

@attic-case wrote:

Thank you fixnwear, No, you are correct. Think maybe things got a bit mixed here. Yes, ALL SELLERS should pass on the actual cost of the postage, infact l would even pay a bit extra to assist with the packaging. The point you bring up is more than fair, a Buyer has the right to know the cost of p&h, plus the cost of said item. Only fair.

Maybe yes have Seller say item is $35.00 includes Postage.  On the invoice qoute item xxx $25.00  Postage $10.00

Would this help ????

Wrong.

A buyer has the right to know what the item will cost them, delivered. Full stop.

Do you query a B&M on freight costs? Or an online seller that you buy from ex-eBay?

Message 15 of 55
Latest reply

Why is it wrong ?  davewill.   If you are selling a said item and it is $25.00  with $65.00 for Delivery, AP, Courier, Road Transport etc, etc,   How will the Buyer know how much to pay for Postage/Delivery Costs.  So are you saying it is $90 Delivery Incuded ???

Message 16 of 55
Latest reply

@attic-case wrote:

Why is it wrong ?  davewill.   If you are selling a said item and it is $25.00  with $65.00 for Delivery, AP, Courier, Road Transport etc, etc,   How will the Buyer know how much to pay for Postage/Delivery Costs.  So are you saying it is $90 Delivery Incuded ???

Yes.

Which the buyer will see before they bid/buy.

Either as a postage included [free] price, or a price + postage cost.

The bottom line is what it costs you, the buyer. The postage cost as a factor of your buy price is none of your business. You are paying a $ amount for the item to be delivered to you. If you are happy with that you buy. If you're not you don't.

Message 17 of 55
Latest reply

I have had a look as you suggested and l think that l know where you are coming from.  Said item from Seller is $29.95 Delivery Included.  Buyer pays you $29.95 total, end of story.  Buyer DOES NOT NEED TO KNOW THE ACTUAL SHIPPING $ factor, as in reality, it has nothing to do with them.  Buyer has agreed to the $29.95 FINAL.

Do l have it right now davewill ???   ebay will take "their" slice out of the $29.95, correct ??  thank you davewill.

Message 18 of 55
Latest reply

Exactly.

It cannot be falsley advertised.

Message 19 of 55
Latest reply

Sellers offer items delivered to your door for a postage inclusive price, inline with common business practice. As the delivery cost is unavoidable there is nothing wrong with this.

Ebay in their wisdom have decided to misreprent this as free post as a marketing ploy. Sellers have no say in Ebays marketing ploy.

If it causes a problem complain about the wording to ebay and stop deluding yourself that shipping cost nothing.

Seperating it out only has the benefit of accomodating pick up items and combined post discounts. Of course it helps buyers convince themselves (and thier partners) that they paid less than they did,

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 20 of 55
Latest reply