Whats the generally accepted practice for estimated delivery dates?

I bought an item from a seller because he listed it with a quick estimated delivery date, however he has not shipped the item yet and it basically has zero chance to get here in time.

There were other cheaper listings, but I bought this one because it had a much faster estimated delivery date which unfortunately turned out to be incorrect.

Im aware of what the ebay policy is in regards to this, I just want to know what the generally accepted practice is where sellers fail to ship the item before the estimated delivery date or are late in shipping the item.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Whats the generally accepted practice for estimated delivery dates?

We played every week, then went to sleep for the first half this week.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

that first half was hard to watch

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

that first half was hard to watch

Not on my telly it wasn't.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Just double checked the chat transcript, its potentially more vauge than i thought :

As what I have mentioned above, the buyer should receive the item on the given estimated delivery date. It is the seller's fault if he shipped it late. Then he should be aware to the consequences for that.

But basically ebay was telling me that i could open a case if i did not receive the item 24 hours after the estimated delivery date :

After 24 hours from the delivery date we can request to open a case.

eBay will based it on the estimated delivery date, the buyer did not received the item on the given estimated delivery date then eBay got your back.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

The grammar used would tend to indicate the eBay CS rep doesn't have English as their first language (although they could be an Australian 20 year old). As such, there is a fair chance they didn't read the question - just the keywords they are trained to identify and respond to.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Item has finally been posted but the seller didnt reply to my messages or include a tracking number...

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

If there is no tracking number how do you know for sure that it has been posted?

If the seller told you it had been posted how do you know it is true without a tracking number?

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@jun_watarase wrote:

I bought an item from a seller because he listed it with a quick estimated delivery date, however he has not shipped the item yet and it basically has zero chance to get here in time.

There were other cheaper listings, but I bought this one because it had a much faster estimated delivery date which unfortunately turned out to be incorrect.

Im aware of what the ebay policy is in regards to this, I just want to know what the generally accepted practice is where sellers fail to ship the item before the estimated delivery date or are late in shipping the item.

I disagree with some of the others to some extent.

Sellers do have some control over what is showing as the estimated delivery date.

It is the seller who chooses his or her handling time & from that, ebay estimates the expected delivery date range. Or that is my understanding.

So, the seller has control over what they choose as their handling time and it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to post things within that time. If what you say is true & they didn't even post till after the expected delivery date, then that was far too late.

When people buy, they do it based on a range of things-eg price, location, delivery estimate. Your seller let you down badly- plus they haven't responded to any of your messages, plus there is no tracking record.  If the delivery date has passed, 1 would open an item not received dispute. You have absolutely no proof they really have posted it.

You can open a dispute from your purchase history, just look at the drop down menu on the item you bought and go to "I didn't receive it'.

That will put the seller in the position they either have to prove tracking or else will have to refund you. 

If on the other hand, a seller seems to you to have posted a bit late but it is still before the expected delivery date, then the item might not actually end up being late. Sometimes the seller posts fast but just doesn't mark it as sent straight away.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

OP has purchased from China lol

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

I've bought from China several times & the estimated delivery has always been 3-4 weeks off, which has been fine with me as it was all up front before I bought.

If the buyer has bought something with a short delivery window and it doesn't arrive in time & he is pretty sure it is coming from China, not Aust as indicated, all the more reason to open an item not received dispute immediately.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply