When refunded - the GST paid on the transaction not being refunded.

Is anyone else having an issue when you are refunded for items NAD. 

Ebay stepped in on a recent purchase and have refunded the purchase amount but not the GST (was an OS purchase direct with seller no GSP involved).   I have noticed this has happened a couple of times and have let it be as sometimes it is not worth the effort.

Am I right in assuming the GST should also be refunded through Ebay ? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: When refunded - the GST paid on the transaction not being refunded.

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Refunded purchases

If you paid GST or tax on your purchase through eBay and you get a refund for your order, you'll also get a refund for the proportionate amount of tax. For example, if you receive a full refund, you'll get the entire tax back. If you receive a 50% partial refund, you'll get 50% of the tax back. Any refunds processed outside eBay's systems are not eligible for a tax refund.

If you paid import taxes or duty as part of clearing your parcel through customs but you then returned the item, please contact the customs authority regarding a refund of the charges.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=2&pos=4&query=...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Refunded purchases

If you paid GST or tax on your purchase through eBay and you get a refund for your order, you'll also get a refund for the proportionate amount of tax. For example, if you receive a full refund, you'll get the entire tax back. If you receive a 50% partial refund, you'll get 50% of the tax back. Any refunds processed outside eBay's systems are not eligible for a tax refund.

If you paid import taxes or duty as part of clearing your parcel through customs but you then returned the item, please contact the customs authority regarding a refund of the charges.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=2&pos=4&query=...

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Had a refund the other day and I got the paypal refund advice from paypal and a GST refund advice from ebay ! 

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I have not been so lucky - I have gone though paypal and there is three outstanding. Have sent off and email with all the information and waiting for the response. 

Perhaps the difference is the buyers have refunded me directly without the intervention of paypal or ebay.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

So what is the solution?

Do I go to paypal or to ebay about this? Or to the original seller?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I should mention that an ebay email shows the full refund amount but the paypal refund that i received was the item refunded only without the GST.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

There is no point in going to the seller.....they did not collect the GST.   I suspect the seller refunded you by making a payment to you rather than using the Refud button, which should have triggered the refund of the GST as it does in any retail refund.

I would start with ebay....they collected the GST and put it in their paypal account.  They may well refer you to paypal.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing & I just now got a reply from the seller, but communication is difficult with this particular seller.

I tried going through paypal yesterday but paypal was going to send a request to the seller (from what I could tell) & ebay is EXTREMELY difficult to find a way to make official enquiries.

I'll start with paypal. I'll start a dispute thingy & see whereit takes me.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

A dispute is with the seller so it will be a complete waste of time as the seller is not responsible for the GST.

Contact ebay through the Help link at the bottom of the page...have them call you back as you seem to get more knowledgable CSs that way.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I have made many complaints to EBay about receiving no GST refund when a vendor refunds a returned lot or cancels a lot. Each time EBay promises to process the GST refund manually and says they will fix the automatic system. But nothing ever happens.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I just wanna say sorry for my last retraction bid and thank you for making it so easy thank you eBay
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply