When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refunded

Through private messages under the option "I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message",

the seller has said that they agreed to and already performed a refund.

When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refunded or do you just have to wait for the money to show up on your account again to see the refund in action?

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refu

yeah I paid by direct debit from my bank account, but i think the seller is using paypal to accept and refund orders? (well i know they at least use paypal to refund orders, but unfortunately they said they've run into paypal being annoying, with paypal putting a hold on the refund :O)
Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

Re: When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refu

@mad-azh-8l0rrjistc wrote:
yeah I paid by direct debit 

Ah... Apologies, I should have clarified this instead of assuming you meant a debit card and that PayPal was involved. 

If they simply sent you a payment via PayPal, then you would definitely get a notification, even if you don't have an account, because it's tied to email addresses (that is, the email is the address the payment goes to, and if you don't have an account, PayPal will still send the notification and prompt you to create an account to accept the funds).

Normally, though, a seller will refund the same way a payment is made, so for a bank deposit, they'll ask for details to send a payment back to your bank account.

Holds on refunds don't generally occur, unless the funding source is a bank account, in which case it's less a "hold" as such, and more of a processing time, but should still result in you receiving notification of a payment that's pending clearance - at this stage, I would ask the seller for a screenshot of the refund transaction that shows the transaction number so that you can reference it if you need to contact PayPal.

Can I just ask if bank deposit was your choice, or something the seller indicated was a preference in some way?

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

ah crud, i just realised there's a difference between direct debit and debit card O_o (i used a card with was linked to a debit account to pay, to clarify).

but based on what you said,
"Holds on refunds don't generally occur, unless the funding source is a bank account, in which case it's less a "hold" as such, and more of a processing time, but should still result in you receiving notification of a payment that's pending clearance - at this stage, I would ask the seller for a screenshot of the refund transaction that shows the transaction number so that you can reference it if you need to contact PayPal"
i might do that if the seller is still having trouble within a few days.

thanks for answering!
Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

ah crud, i just realised there's a difference between direct debit and debit card O_o (i used a card with was linked to a debit account to pay, to clarify).

but based on what you said,
"Holds on refunds don't generally occur, unless the funding source is a bank account, in which case it's less a "hold" as such, and more of a processing time, but should still result in you receiving notification of a payment that's pending clearance - at this stage, I would ask the seller for a screenshot of the refund transaction that shows the transaction number so that you can reference it if you need to contact PayPal"
i might do that if the seller is still having trouble within a few days.

thanks for answering!

Yes I'd be careful this seller isn't trying to string you along. Definitely follow advice to ask for a screen shot, but don't stop there, still look for an email confirmation from paypal. I had a dodgy buyer once send screen shots of an apparent payment, cropped down from a payment to someone else obviously, with no identifying information relating it to me or my sale. I cancelled immediately, reported and blocked them. Not saying they are dodgy but good to be aware and watch for things like that.

The problem is, paying by direct deposit gives you no protection on Ebay or paypal. You are now at the mercy of the seller. If they don't refund, you're high and dry

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

Did you pay by a Master/Visa card linked to your debit account or did you pay by bank deposit directly into their nominated bank account?

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

@the4masters2013 wrote:

I always contact the buyer and let them know I have given a refund, with an explanation or apologies depending what the problem was.

Just curtesy on my part.

That's a good ethic on your part. "Old school" and I like it. I know that it takes a bit extra time but if you can manage it why not!

Good one.

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Used a master/visa card

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

I only get notifications if a case has been opened through eBay.
If it is between the buyer and the seller, I do everything through the messages .
Even with a notification of a refund, I always contact the seller to let them know the refund has been done.
Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Thank you.
Sometimes the "Old school" of good manners is the only way to go.
At least I can sleep well knowing I have done everything I can.
Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

yeah, they sent me a message about a refund. 🙂

so you don't receive automatic notifications when a refund happens like you do when something is dispatched? (the only notification is what the seller says?)

You get notice of a refund if the seller has refunded via the Ebay listing / sales record. If they've done it manually - just by jumping onto their bank's website and doing a direct deposit into your account, for example - you won't get any sort of notification.

If they refund in PayPal via "Send money" instead of as a refund, you'll get a notification that you've received funds, but it won't tell you what for unless the seller has included a note.

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply