Who pays for return postage for a "not as descibed item"

Is there a law in Australia that covers this.?

And would it apply to Ebay , PayPal or credit card , and would it cover purchases in Australia and overseas.

Best regards.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Read the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Seller pays return postage, but you must open a case for Item Not as Described.

Return an item for a refund | eBay

Under no circumstances close the case, no matter what the seller says.

Only close it when you have a full refund.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

OP could be the seller.

Normally the seller sends a return label and refunds upon return of item, provided, one, payment was made by a method that gives buyer protection in eBay and two, the item is returned in same condition as was supplied.

That is assuming the item is truly Not as Described.

eBay gives this MBG for Australian and International buyers, however, International sellers cannot provide postage labels and often the buyer needs to pay for the return to have that refunded later, IF the seller complies.

image host
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Please clarify whether you are the seller or the buyer.

If you are the buyer, the procedure will be different depending on whether the seller is domestic or overseas.

If you are the seller, you will need to comply along certain lines if the buyer has actually opened a case/dispute. It will also depend on whether the buyer is domestic or overseas.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Hi , thanks for your reply.

Yes i am the buyer of an overseas product.

The product (transistors) were labelled with the correct type numbers.

When i tested them, they were a completely different device and therefore "not as described".

My original question was to seek an Australian law that  would cover this matter.

If an Ebay  ,  PayPal or credit card chargeback request failed then there would be another appeal process.

Best regards.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Even if there was an Australian law, it won't be enforced offshore.

You fall under the rules of the site you purchased on, if you purchased on ebay.com.au then Aust rules apply etc.

If the three you mention fail, then you have no other recourse.

image host
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Where is the seller REGISTERED? Often Chinese sellers send rubbish.

You can see this info on the sellers feedback page.

There is no Australian law that can do anything against an overseas seller, but you have the tools at your fingertips to get a refund, so don't worry about it.

The procedure would be as follows:

1) Open a case for Not As Described. The overseas seller then has to follow procedure. Since they are outside of Australia, they cannot send you a shipping label if they want it back. They have to send you the funds for overseas postage if they want it returned. I would say that this is highly unlikely on the sellers part as they do not want to lose more money.

2) Their only other option it to refund you. Some sellers will try and deflect from the refund and try and drag out the case ie: they say they will refund you if you cancel the dispute. Do not do so under any circumstances.

Never be out of pocket for postage for any item that is defective/broken etc. The onus is always on the seller.

The seller will have a limited number of days to respond, so stick with it and come back here to keep us updated.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Hi , thanks for your sage advise.

"Never be out of pocket for postage for any item that is defective/broken etc. The onus is always on the seller."

I will pursue the refund request. If that fails i believe i can then try a credit card charge back.

Hopefully i can report a win.

Best regards to all who have helped.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply