Why are prices different for the same listing when changing eBay sites?

Hi,

I'm confused as to why, for example, on eBay.com an item is $100USD, but when switching to eBay.com.au, the item becomes say, $130USD.

Would it be cheaper for me to just buy the item on the US site and have PayPal convert the currency, or is eBay Australia for some reason factoring in taxes into the listing price and it ends up being the same cost?

Cheers

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why are prices different for the same listing when changing eBay sites?

The difference is 10% so probably the GST component added ?

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Was just doing the same myself. Checked the checkout in both .com and .au.

Seems like the GST is added in the listing price itself now instead of at checkout, which I think is wierd and why I didn't of it before. Makes it look like the seller is asking for more than they really are for an item.

Cheers for the assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you talking about the same item from the same seller or different sellers?  Are you sure tht the item on the Australian site is showing in US$ instead of AU$?

The GST and shipping charges will have to be added to both listings and the paypal conversion charges will be at the same rate so I would say it is better to buy the cheapest item.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Without an item number (found on the RHS of the listing page) it would be nearly impossible to tell you why.

Edit. G'day lyndal.    original.gif

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

A seller can list on different sites and they can put whatever price they want.

I for example, will list an item on the Aus site for A$20, l then list it on the US site for US$20 (A$27)

I prefer to sell to a local buyer, less stress in shipping and potential problems.

image host
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks all for the replies.

I should have been more clear.

Firstly, this is not in the checkout this is in the listing page. No purchase action. Also, it is the listing price, and not the shipping price.

Secondly, this is the exact same item, from the exact same seller (same listing, same item number). All I did was add .au to the end of ebay.com in the URL bar. That's it, yet the US$ price jumped up $30 USD (since it's an ebay US listing it displays both the original USD and AUD conversion prices on the Australian site's webpage. It displays exactly as Price: XX.xx, Approximately AU $XX.xx on the .au page. Obviously on the .com page it will not show AU conversion).

Usually I browse ebay on .com but purchase on .com.au. And for padi*0409 who asked for the item number, this seems to be happening on all listings when I change to .au in the URL bar. But the price change is not fixed. So I suppose the item number is not relevant. If you feel like it maybe you could test it on some listings.

Edit: I tried some European ebays (.fr, .it and .de) and each displayed the original USD price from the .com page).

Hope that makes it clearer. In a nutshell, pretty much the USD price displayed on a US located listing becomes higher when I add .au to the URL to purchase on my local ebay site.

Are sellers able to charge different prices for different regions?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@sb_goods_aus wrote:

Usually I browse ebay on .com but purchase on .com.au. And for padi*0409 who asked for the item number, this seems to be happening on all listings when I change to .au in the URL bar. But the price change is not fixed. So I suppose the item number is not relevant. If you feel like it maybe you could test it on some listings.

Yes it is, and I can't bothered, honestly, to start searching through various eBay site to see if there's a price difference for you.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Fine, here is an item number from a random item where I observed the price augment after switching to .au.

You wouldn't even be searching through various websites. Like I said, all that is happening is that I'm adding .au to the web address. I'm not searching for the item again from another page. Just going to the URL bar of the webpage already loaded and addiing .au to the end of ebay.com[.au] ... /itm/... And this changes the price.

Here it changes from $29.99 USD on the US site to $32.89 USD on the Au site.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Is it known if GST is applied in the listing price itself now instead of in the checkout?

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The difference is 10% so probably the GST component added ?

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Was just doing the same myself. Checked the checkout in both .com and .au.

Seems like the GST is added in the listing price itself now instead of at checkout, which I think is wierd and why I didn't of it before. Makes it look like the seller is asking for more than they really are for an item.

Cheers for the assistance.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply