Why can I not turn off pop up adverts at the bottom of the ebay listings?????

jadat01
Community Member

The adverts that pop up along the bottom of any listing are annoying and slow down page loading times. We have selected the suspend "forever" option about 10 times and clearly it doesn't understand the meaning of forever.

Can someone help ???

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you are using Firefox or Chrome you can install Adblock Plus and that will block all adds or popups.

Not sure about IE, I avoid using it.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you have unwanted malware/virus installed on your machine

You most probably unknowingly downloaded it along with something else

Do a full scan ... Bitdefender have a free anti-virus program, but to really protect your machine, you should have the full program

You can buy Bitdefenter Total Security 2013 on eBay for around $20+ (that's like less than 50 cents a week)

This gives real time protection, auto updates, auto scans, child protection and a "safe pay" programme that allows you to use Internet banking, Paypal etc with utmost security ... It is recommended by Westpac Bank (and sometimes they actually give it free to their internet banking customers, worth checking))

Then download Firefox browser, it is the safest for using the net

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I am also tired of the popup deals that keep appearing at bottom of page. Nothing to do with a malware or anything ebay haver included it in their site. I have set popup block on I.e. to high and they still appears.

Ebay please give option to block it or get rid of it

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I have had the same problem with pop ups on ebay,am actualy loosing interest in selling.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I had a problem with those annoying as hell popups last month. It didn't have anything to do with popup blockers at all. I had popup blockers on Chrome yet it didn't stop these annoying ads popping up.

It took me almost an hour just to google this and find a solution but most of them were duds! These solutions worked for me:

I had two types of Malware/Virus; Savings Bull and Conduit

Savings Bull: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/savings-bull-removal/

Conduit: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/

You will need to download a few softwares to get rid of the Malware.

Hope this helps! I'm not sure whether you will have the same type of malware but you could always google the name of the ads that pop up (they're usually located on the corners of the popups) Smiley Happy  Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

There you go. Downloadinjg bodgy software or viewing bodgy sites.  Hardly eBay's fault.

I use Avast free, don't go out of mainstream, and have no problems.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

It's not always dodgy software, it can happen with legitimate freet software, it can also be the site you download things off.. Not always dodgy sites either; I have had a few malware come in through a legitimate free program  from cNet. Some of it just gets bundled in with whatever you're downloading  and as most people usually just click through when they're installing programs they don't realise what else they have agreed to install. It's not always malicious per se, but it is extremely aggressive and annoying.

Whenever you are installing free software always check for an ooption that says "Advanced" or "Custom" when installing and it will often come up with a list of things that would have been installed had you just installed it by the standard options. These are often just toolbars that are supposed to be helpful but are more annoying than anything else, but sometimes you get something really aggressive.

They come in the form of Browser Helper Objects when the H should actually stand for Hinderance.. 

Also be wary of any sites that ask you to use a downloader to get the program, Softonic in particular

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply