Why can sellers advertise that they are located in an AUS town/city whilst actually overseas?

Why can sellers advertise that they are located in an AUS town/city whilst actually overseas?

I recently purchased an item that has multiple listings indicating that the seller is located in Tamworth NSW, yet when you purchase the goods are in fact coming from China?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I am equally angry about this. It is nearly impossible to find items that are within Australia. Ebay MUST set an option for sort by delivery date. This would give buyers a much better chance of getting something locally. I just purchased an item and paid three times it's worth only because it said Melbourne, as I am in Melbourne. I then received a message from the seller that said "Hope you are patient for wait" this immediately got my attention and after further messaging I now know the item is being delivered from China. Which I could have done myself much cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=4244
This eBay policy doesn't seem to mean a thing.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Because eBay Australia can't dictate to (in particular) Chines sellers, thus the onus is on the buyer to check feedback for where the seller is registered and for any negs indicating false item location.

I see most of your negs are for Asian sellers who have, in most cases, very poor feedback percentage - as a guide don't deal with high-volume sellers with less than 99.5% feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Clearly you cannot be too angry, you keep on buying from sellers registered in China who have horrible feedback and expecting a good outcome?

Very easy to check before buying. Would would 'eBay' care when buyers can't be bothered to do such a simple thing as check who they are buying from? (even IF the seller was local or lived next door does not mean they are a good seller )

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

DUE DILIGENCE

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

because ebay are greedy af

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@sandykay27 wrote:

because ebay are greedy af

Yes, but the solution is simple.

As others have said - DUE DILIGENCE.

If you don't want items sent from China, don't buy from Chinese sellers.

eBay is not a hand holding business. If you do your due diligence, you will have less disappointments. And help stop these sellers, as, if nobody bought from them they'd stop doing it.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

My original point was directed at Ebay for allowing bogus AUS addresses when clearly as people have pointed out the seller is elsewhere. Whilst the seasoned buyer has awareness in this deceptive practice there are those irregular or elderly buyers who do not.

I'm expressing disappointment with Ebay for not doing their due diligence in protecting and supporting the people providing their income and allowing this fraudulent practice to be blatantly acceptable.   

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

eBay don't read or respond to board posts.

How is eBay to know if a seller has stock in country? How much do you think it would add to sellers' costs if eBay had to spend the money to vet every single listing, every time it was edited? Who do you think would ultimately pay for that? Why can't you do your own checks?

It is easy to do, and is something every buyer should do as a matter of course. eBay is a platform where anybody can sell. That means there is no guarantee that goods are where they are stated to be, nor that any warranties offered are enforceable. It is hard to sympathise with people who buy on price without doing even rudimentary checks on sellers.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply