Why does Ebay allow sellers to say something has been "posted" when it hasn't

rabbi-g
Community Member

Why can a seller say an item has been posted when only a tracking number has been obtained... the item is often actually posted days... even a week or more later.

"Posted" should mean in the post.... not sitting around until the seller decides to dispatch it!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That's just the way the system is set up by eBay, when a seller generates a postage label eBay mark the item as "posted".

The only real way to see if the item has moved is to look at the tracking events of the parcel.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

That's just the way the system is set up by eBay, when a seller generates a postage label eBay mark the item as "posted".

The only real way to see if the item has moved is to look at the tracking events of the parcel.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

eBay have it set up so once any seller generates a postage label it is considered 'sent'

You would need to ask them why they do so

'sitting around until a seller decides to dispatch it' 

If you do not like the seller's handling time, choose another seller who has a handling time that you find appropriate 

Too bad if these sellers have jobs, lives, things they need to do besides jump the instant a person buys are flooded etc 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@rabbi-g wrote:

Why can a seller say an item has been posted when only a tracking number has been obtained... the item is often actually posted days... even a week or more later.

"Posted" should mean in the post.... not sitting around until the seller decides to dispatch it!

I don't know why you single out ebay as 'allowing it'.

This is how it works in all businesses. It is how the postal system works.

I do a lot of online shopping and I can tell you that they all generate a tracking number almost immediately but that doesn't mean it has been posted off. You need to watch the wording for that, as I guess you already realise, and quite often it can be a few days before it actually gets posted off.

At least with ebay, you have something you don't have with most other businesses and that's an estimated date of arrival. Check it out before you buy, to see if it is reasonable. I find most ebay sellers do make an effort to meet those deadlines because they know they face possible claims if the item doesn't arrive by then.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Obtaining a tracking number, does not count as a valid tracking event, so the seller must then physically lodge the item with AP etc, within their stated handling time.

If a seller does not ship within their stated handling time (as per a valid tracking event ), their account will receive a  shipping defect, once they receive enough defects, they will be penalized with extra fees etc.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply