Why does Ebay let individuals sell toilet rolls at auction

Why does Ebay allow individuals to sell toilet paper at auction, this only promotes the ridiculous scenes we see of empty supermarket shelves.

Is it in Ebays values to allow people to make excessive profit from someone else’s desperate circumstance.

If only commercial suppliers were allowed to sell these items during shortages then maybe we wont see the bulk buying or large queues of people looking to make a quick buck.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Why does Ebay let individuals sell toilet rolls at auction

Ask eBay

Or read the 200 other threads already here on the topic

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Ebay is primarily an automated computer program with no people.

It is not until someone reports a listing or member that a human becomes involved.

I think you will find no one is buying these but perhaps other accounts inflating prices in the hope to hook someone.

image host
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@far-2-many-ids wrote:

Why does Ebay allow individuals to sell toilet paper at auction, this only promotes the ridiculous scenes we see of empty supermarket shelves.

Is it in Ebays values to allow people to make excessive profit from someone else’s desperate circumstance.

If only commercial suppliers were allowed to sell these items during shortages then maybe we wont see the bulk buying or large queues of people looking to make a quick buck.

Aren't the supermarkets commercial suppliers?  Who said people were standing in queues to buy toilet paper to make a quick buck?  I think you'll find most of them wanted to buy them to stockpile for themselves at home, and I doubt most wouldn't have sold even a single roll, not even if you'd offered them double what they paid.

There's one sure way to stop people listing such items - boycott them.  They'd soon give up then.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

'cause ebay is a scam site and wants commision on anything it can get its greedy hands on.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@qazpolwertrip wrote:

'cause ebay is a scam site and wants commision on anything it can get its greedy effing hands on.

Why are you still using eBay then?

To the OP, stop searching for toilet paper and it won't be an issue. I searched for vibrators and sex toys, and I didn't see one single listing for toilet paper. Shock horror! If anyone is stupid enough to pay ridiculous prices, more fool them. They deserve to lose their money. No one is forcing you to search for, or buy, toilet paper on eBay. 

This topic has been done to death. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

I'll just add to tippy's post above that I'm also yet to be returned a single toilet paper related result in my regular searches for photographic equipment and computer gear.

I also echo the sentiment that eliminating such search terms as "toilet paper, dunny roll, bog roll, lavatory tissue" etc, should *greatly* reduce incidents of you seeing such listings, Mr. or Mrs. "greedy effing hands".

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Subject: Very NAUGHTY pink fluffy sexy handcuffs is listed by an experienced eBay seller, *tippy*toes*

Oh-So-Naughty Handcuffs

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Just saw this report on the news feed.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/us/man-has-17-700-sanitiser-bottles/ar-BB11carp?ocid=msedgdhp

Give the man his due, he started early with his idea but what has brought him undone is pure greed. That's why he has been kicked off ebay or Amazon etc

I hope he isn't expecting any sympathy.

Basically, if he had sold his products with a small mark up to cover his expenses and make a normal profit, he may have been okay. And hasn't the guy ever heard of marketplace or local buy/swap/sell boards.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Despite what was said in that article, eBay still seems to take no action :-

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=toilet+rolls&_sacat=0&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hand+sanitiser&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_dm...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply