Why dose purchases from China take so long? Can't eBay improve this situation?

i have purchase items from England and USA and these countries are further away from us than China, but the delivery time from China is three times longer and it's frustrating, but once again sometimes Australia is a desert for products and you have to go to China to get what you want , but the delivery time is the Bug Bare and you tend not to buy from Chinese Sellers , this I think is a drawback to these sellers and eBay should do something about it they are big enough to do it. Regards mcdonald2461

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Why does purchases from China take so long? Can't eBay improve this situation?

Nothing to do with eBay.

It's the Chinese postal system as well as being the sellers sending items late or not at all.

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Postage from China (especially "free") tends to mean economy postage, and economy postage = cheapest way possible. Cheap = slow. 

When you buy from the US, most sellers will use a USPS postage service, which means the package will come to Australia directly from a nearby distribution centre (near to the seller, I mean). If you buy from China, without upgrading to a more standard service, the package will often go through several distribution channels in bulk with tons of other packages, and can land in multiple countries before it gets to Aus. It's very common for packages from China to be routed through Singapore at least.

Just as an example, I use an economy shipping service through DHL when I post to international destinations, and those first travel to Sydney (I'm in Adelaide) for sorting and dispatch, and will either go to New Zealand or Germany before being sent on to the final destination country. This means they effectively go through 3 customs clearances (eg leaving Aus, arriving in / leaving NZ, arriving in US). If I want the package to go directly from me to the US, the package will cost about 3x as much to send. 

I buy from China a lot, it doesn't matter what platform you buy on, what matters is the postage service the seller sends through. My personal preference (when not using express couriers) is for them to use UBI, it's economical (IMHO), and still has multiple distribution, Aus Post gets paid because they become eParcels when they arrive, and usually takes 2 weeks in normal circumstances (currently taking 4 or so due to covid etc). 

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

I am really curious to know what it is you think 'eBay' can do about an overseas postal system

I would be even more interested to know what they say to you when you contact them and tell them your thoughts 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Chinese Chinese Chinese 

Who cares about the bleeping Chinese sheesh

You buy from them to penny pinch and then find a way to blame others, because it couldn't possibly be that you're lacking brain matter for supporting them in the first place and putting Australian sellers out of business.

Oh and that's just the tip of the iceberg. What else are they doing to our country. Have you bothered to look? I guess you haven't had time, too busy chasing the whereabouts of a $1 poc. 

A suggestion for you. Spend more time worrying about how YOU are contribiting to our postal costs being so high (Chinese mail isn't delivered free. Someone has to pay for it) and how YOU are handing our country to them. Look a little harder, look a little deeper

Everybody PLEASE do that. It extends way beyond Ebay. Wake up!!

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

...because it couldn't possibly be that you're lacking brain matter for supporting them in the first place...

Everybody PLEASE do that. It extends way beyond Ebay. Wake up!!

There are better ways to draw attention to the issue than through insults.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Yes. Not good form however how often do we hear whinges about Chinese sellers. There is only one solution to the problem, not buying from them. But yes chucking out insults isn't nice. Sorry to the op

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

But Dusty, how long have we been pussyfooting around the problem and sugarcoating our replies.

How many OPs take any notice anyway?

Sometimes you really do need a sledgehammer to crack that wallnut.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I haven't bought from China for maybe about a year. Actually in the past Items did arrive (usualy in 2, max 3 weeks), but last year 3 items in a row did not arrive, and now with the coronavirus it is even worse of course, so I have stopped buying from China...

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks digital ghost for a interesting reply opened my eyes
11dustuattic You need to wake up lad and give up judging everyone by you perverted views.
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply