Why is Ebay charging GST on used items?

The Australian government imposed GST charges on online sales to protect "Brick and mortar" businesses, I get that, but why an I expected to pay an extra $30 on a set of obsolete used motorcycle carbs that I'm buying from a private seller in the US? What a scam! Cancel my bid thanks!

Message 1 of 269
Latest reply
268 REPLIES 268

Dont blame ebay,  GST is applicable on used goods, even in Australia.  Note when purchasing via ebay, the Government does not care if it is a commercial or private sale, as they have made the platform providers responsible for the GST.  Not individual sellers.

Message 2 of 269
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

No-one here can cancel your bid.

We are just members like yourself.

Ebay does not read here

Ask the seller to cancel through the item in your purchase history,

but don't be surprised if they won't.

Message 3 of 269
Latest reply

It's the import tax that has always been there for items including shipping over $1000, now it applies to items under $1000.

You could say we have been getting away with not paying the tax for 18 years.

If you bought the same second hand items in Aus you wouldn't be charged the tax as it's an import tax.

image host
Message 4 of 269
Latest reply

Why do so many people think that GST doesn't apply to used items? 

Latest reply

@maranock wrote:

Why do so many people think that GST doesn't apply to used items? 

Probably because that was one of the exclusions mooted in the political horse-trading that went on at the time of its introduction.

Message 6 of 269
Latest reply

That was 18 years ago and as far as I know second hand goods were never actually exempted. After all this time people should know that GST is applied.

Latest reply

People should know lots of things.Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 269
Latest reply

And why do some think postage is not a service?

Message 9 of 269
Latest reply

Perhaps a more pertinent question is why is GST bein charged on te total cost of the item putchased and the cost of shipping and handling?  The EBay site which explains Buying also contains a list of GST exept items which lists "international mail" as exempt. Since shipping and handling is frequently just postage is is right to charge GST on postage? 

Message 10 of 269
Latest reply