Why won't ebay let me pay for an item?

no1mk3*
Community Member

A seller hadn't listed my country as permitted for shipping, so ebay would not let me pay. OK, understand auto processes can do that so contacted seller who relisted the item with my country included, but ebay will STILL not let me pay! Very bloody annoying to say the least!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Did the seller include a fixed post cost to your country in listing or include size and weight dimensions of parcel ? If you can see a post cost on invoice this will not be the problem.

This may well not apply to you so please dont take it personally, but one of the restrictions ebay place on buyers who dont always do the right thing is to restrict them from buying overseas. Whilst I dont know the process I would expect some kind of message would come up saying you are not eligable to buy.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I just had a look at your feedback and it looks very good with a purchase from Germany noted, so the second reason ( account restriction ) seems highly unlikely. Would look to see if postage information is correct.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I am a seller, and I have had problems with buyers not able to pay for an item even though I had sent duplicate invoices on many occasions.

I think there is a glitch in ebay.  I have also spent many hours on the phone with ebay, and the only way around it was to send an invoice through paypal.

You could ask the seller to do that, and you are still covered by ebay protection policies.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Another tricky little thing is to make sure the seller has checked the right boxes when listing OS. It is either opt in for countries or opt out ( two oposing systems I think from memory ) ie. sometimes it asks to check the countries you want to EXCLUDE, and a different way asks you to check countries you want to INCLUDE. and it can be an easy mistake to check boxes the wrong way around. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

You don't by any chance have a PO box in your address do you? That will prevent you from buying from many sellers.

If it was a problem with excluded countries then the OP shouldn't have been able to bid or buy.

First ask the seller to add you to their exemption from blocked bidders list and it that still doesn't work ask them to send you an invoice direct from Paypal, you still have the same Paypal buyer protection as long as you select the option to pay for goods.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply