Worked out that it's a bad idea to purchase something like a lawn mower from a distant supplier.

Bought a mower about 70 days ago and used it once, a few days ago I went to use it a second time and saw a great smudge under the mower, checked the oil and all had drained out. Filled it up again but it basically is pouring oil around the disk and is for all practical purposes unusable.

Seller has a 60 day free return policy but as it is a few days over I will have to bear the cost (actually going to buy a new one locally) and it seems it will cost me over $60 to return it for checking...... Possibly further costs as well.

So in my case anyway a cheaper product has turned out to be a very expensive product which cant be used.

Anyone else have oil leaks with this type of product?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Worked out that it's a bad idea to purchase something like a lawn mower from a distant supplier.

What brand is it?

Have you checked to make sure there is an oil plug on it?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Is the oil bung done up tight?

Can you see where the leak is?

I know you say around the disc but can you pin point the leak?

Did / does the mower have warranty?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

What brand of mower is it? There are some really good online trouble shooting guides that might be able to help you out.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Sounds very much like the main crankshaft oil seal has failed or was faulty when assembled in which case it is a major strip-down job to replace it. Even though it only has a 60-day warranty, if you have no luck with the seller, contact the Dept of Fair Trading and they should order the seller to repair it at their expense, as something like a crankshaft seal should last a hell of a lot longer than a lousy 60 days.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies, I haven't taken a real look at it and will soon. All I know at this stage is that the disk and blades are covered in oil and it drips out from there. The warranty is 1 Year I think but there is no way I will pay a 1/4 of the price just to return it.

If it's not a simple job to fix, will buy the model that lasted me over 15 Years last time locally and write this down to experience.

The mower looks shiny and new as does the oil that pours out.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Why don't you contact the seller and see if they will come to some sort of arrangement where you don't have to pay for shipping to return the mower for repair. As it has a 12 month warranty, at least they should replace the faulty crankshaft seal at no charge. Why not check with a few couriers and see exactly how much they'll charge you to ship it to wherever it has to go, as it may cost less than you imagine?
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

CQ, I think the seller may be the worst seller on ebay.....the OP bought from them within the the last 6 months.  A Private sale so no details to be seen.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Most mowers for domestic use have a 2 year warranty and 3-6 months for commercial use,and we still don't know the brand?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Brand and warranty is of no relevance, warranty's are not honoured by most manufacturers once an item has been on sold second hand.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply