a non existant ebay seller

i bought a supernatural season 15 dvd but later relised the seller no longer existed so i put the item through the resolution centre because i thought it was a bit suss but the seller contacted me that day and they said they were sending the item and that the account had been deleted by ebay by accident so i resolved the issue in the resolution centre my question is how do i resend an item to the resolution centre again 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Simple answer is you can't reopen a dispute that you've already closed, your only option is a Paypal dispute but if the seller can show by tracking that they've sent the item you'll lose an "item not received" dispute.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Jumping the gun maybe?

Seller says he sent it.

How do you know it still won't turn up?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Where was the seller located?

To me, you have perhaps made 2 mistakes. The first was to jump in with a claim immediately, instead of giving it a few days in case the item did turn up.

However, I can understand your concern when you got a message like that and why you felt you needed to take action straight away.

Your main mistake though was to close your claim on the seller's say so. This is a seller who, for one reason or another, had been in trouble with ebay. Maybe their account was deleted 'by accident' but maybe not. 

Once you open a claim, don't close it till it has definitely been resolved. Have a think about why you opened the claim. You wanted either your item or money back, right? Did you have either of those things when you marked it as resolved? No. Therefore it was not resolved. Always go on facts and not say so.

I can't tell if the item has really been posted to you. It sounds to me as if the seller said they were sending it. It doesn't sound as if it was in the post at that point. Again, you are relying on the seller being honest.

Bottom line is you can't reopen an ebay claim once you have marked it as resolved.

But as Padi said, you CAN open a paypal claim. Give it till the estimated arrival dates that were in the listing and if the item has not turnd up by then, open a paypal claim and follow through with it.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
Just to make sure I understand correctly, if after the estimated delivery time you make a PayPal claim for item not received, if the seller has tracking to show that it was sent but not delivered, you will still lose the case?
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@joz15au wrote:

Just to make sure I understand correctly, if after the estimated delivery time you make a PayPal claim for item not received, if the seller has tracking to show that it was sent but not delivered, you will still lose the case?

Yes, with eBay's MBG the seller has to show the item was sent AND shows delivery by tracking, Paypal only requires the seller to be able to show the item was sent with tracking. (Unless something has changed recently.)

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

To add Joz, here's the relevant policy in their T&C's :-

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
Thanks for that. Saves me lodging a PayPal claim for a non eBay purchase. Item was despatched with a courier service and delivery was quoted as being due Jan 6th, still nothing received and the courier has not updated tracking since it was collected ON 31 Dec. I have tried to contact the seller via their help desk but they will not reply, so customer service is zip. There is no function for me to contact the courier either, as the customer (sender) has to log in to contact them. I know it's not the seller's fault but they could be more helpful and try to follow up with the courier. eBay's mbg seems great in comparison. Sorry, I know this isn't an eBay purchase but a good example of why it is best to try the avenues available through eBay first before going the PayPal route for INR.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@joz15au wrote:

.................eBay first before going the PayPal route for INR.

The other thing to note is that you can go from an eBay claim to a Paypal claim, but if you open a Paypal claim first you can't go back to an eBay claim.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Paypal covers claims from other sites, not just ebay.

Have you investigated the protection you have with paypal?

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply