advice on faulty laptop purchased

hi, I purchased for my daughter a laptop for xmas at the end of sept 2015

I did not turn on the laptop to even test when received as once you turn on a laptop it needs to be set up and battery charged etc

anyhow come xmas morning laptop works fine for about 2 days then the screen goes half white and distorted, display works fine when attached to external display such as hdmi tv

contact ebay seller and send image ... reply from seller obviously a damaged display and says I am to follow through with the warranty

well I have begun the warranty procedure and after several phone calls and emails they tell me to send the laptop to repair centre so they can assess the issue to determine whether the customer has caused the damage or it is just a faulty machine

I can understand that however I am now concerned and annoyed that I shall have to pay out more money to return and I am not even sure whether I will be reimbursed when they do prove the laptop faulty

my query for much needed advice is should I get back in contact with the ebay seller to deal with this

when I purchase items from a b&m store if I have problems I always go back to the place of purchase

am I able to contact this seller to resolve this issue

any advice on the best course of action to take would be most appreciated

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: advice on faulty laptop purchased

Not so bjmonty, I bought a laptop on eBay last year and had to take it to the local agent to have the wireless adapter replaced under warranty.  I only had to provide them with the copy of the eBay invoice with all the appropriate serial and model numbers listed and it was all fine.  The manufacturer, by law, cannot refuse to honour a warranty just because you bought it online, as long as you bought it new.  It helps if you register the device on the Manufacturers website when you get it because then all the numbers are on file for them to compare.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: advice on faulty laptop purchased

make sure there is a  genuine manufacturers warranty in place and that the seller is an authorised reseller for that brand. if yes then you should be covered by warranty according to the sellers conditions on the original listing i would think.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply