advice on faulty laptop purchased

hi, I purchased for my daughter a laptop for xmas at the end of sept 2015

I did not turn on the laptop to even test when received as once you turn on a laptop it needs to be set up and battery charged etc

anyhow come xmas morning laptop works fine for about 2 days then the screen goes half white and distorted, display works fine when attached to external display such as hdmi tv

contact ebay seller and send image ... reply from seller obviously a damaged display and says I am to follow through with the warranty

well I have begun the warranty procedure and after several phone calls and emails they tell me to send the laptop to repair centre so they can assess the issue to determine whether the customer has caused the damage or it is just a faulty machine

I can understand that however I am now concerned and annoyed that I shall have to pay out more money to return and I am not even sure whether I will be reimbursed when they do prove the laptop faulty

my query for much needed advice is should I get back in contact with the ebay seller to deal with this

when I purchase items from a b&m store if I have problems I always go back to the place of purchase

am I able to contact this seller to resolve this issue

any advice on the best course of action to take would be most appreciated

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You have no chance of getting anything done through ebay, you have left it far too late.

You may be able to open an item not as described dispute with Paypal but again it is a long time since you bought it. If the seller is an Australian registered business then you may be able to make a claim through Fair Trade but you will have a hard job convincing anyone that it has remained unused since September and that you have not caused the problem.

The only other option is if you funded the payment with a credit card then you can try your bank re a chargeback however you will be responsible for paying the return cost which will have to be fully trackable.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

While it's to late to claim through ebay did you pay with paypal?

If you did then put in a claim through paypal and state that the item isn't as described and it's faulty.

You will have to go through the process and try to come to an agreement with the seller and if not after a period you then ask paypal to step in.

I agree why should you have to go through all the warranty process,it is obvious that this seller has sold you a faulty laptop.

Good Luck.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If there is a genuine manufacturers warranty just take it to an authorised repairer and see what they say.  If the seller has told you to return to them for a warranty claim then do that.You will just have to wear any costs as you have left it far too long to make any claim through ebay or paypal.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

thanks crow, yes I did pay with paypal ... I realise I am too late to open a dispute through ebay and am now going to contact the seller

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

180 days through paypal isn't it?

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

hi, i bought a new toshiba laptop about 4 years ago on ebay and i requested a larger hard drive be installed. all good, got delivered quickly and was as described except when i pressed the power button, nothing. so i call the seller as i had their phone number and the helpful girl got me to remove the battery and reinstal it but still no go. i thought id be sending it back for replacment but as it was a toshiba it was covered by their waranty. i then had to contact toshiba and they aranged collection from my home in country south australia, repaired it and returned it all at no cost to me. except for the inconvienience i was happy. no problems for 4 years (why did i say that) perhaps your laptop has a similar new waranty with the manufacturer.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Your warranty is with the manufacturer.  You should take or send the laptop to the nearest Authorised repairer (you should find a list or a number to call to get the details of the nearest one on the Manufacturer's website) and they will assess whether it is covered by warranty.  Thye may need to send it away yto the manufacturer, depending on the fault.  You will need a copy of your eBay invoice, it may be attached to the emailed order confirmation from your seller (if not, the item details page from your purchase history is usually sufficient).

Cheers,

Penny
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

They should be able to tell the date it was set up in BIOS and the operating system.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Generally when you take something to get assessed for waranty they will ask you "where did you buy it" and as soon as yoou say "i got it on eBay" thats the end of that. They couldnt care less.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply