being forced to buy products outside Australia due to layout and search algorithm

Disappointed at ebay site for forcing me to buy products outside Australia due to there layout and search algorithm. I find it so hard to buy in australia, I get items come up from all over the world with lengthy posting times from China or over priced shipping like from the US and UK. I know that you can set it to search Australia but it should be default, I should not have to reset this on every search, Question why are you trying to make my shopping experience default?

Most time when I find a item I like , I have to search past 4 layers of ads, with the seller info all over the place on the  page, most times I have to scroll half page to see where the item is shipped from, and sometimes I forget to check, then I find out after paying the item is located in china and could be 3 months to receive it, grrr... I would like to be able to set my account to Australia  default search and when there is no product in australia you list international below.

Another thing is, I can search for a item, looking for the best deal then when I pay for a item,  you show me a cheaper and better product after I had searched for over week at times, and them items never come up until I had brought something similar, and when your buying expensive items that is a 1 off buy, I kick myself for buying the other item and think I should not of brought it.

Have to say this dose frustrate me.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: being forced to buy products outside Australia due to layout and search algorithm

@oz_local wrote:

just change "item location" on the left to "Australia only"

That doesn't restrict the search to "Australian only" sellers, it includes sellers who claim to have stock in Australia and who ship to Australia unfortunately.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: being forced to buy products outside Australia due to layout and search algorithm

I search by price + postage lowest. I also note where the seller is located. Not hard, it's clearly indicated.

Your issue seems to be related to you not wanting to spend a few seconds to save a few bucks. Maybe modify your expectations. And do a time/efficiency calculation to that effect.

For your further embarrassment, eBay neither read nor respond to posts on the MEMBER boards. So your complaint won't even make it to pleb level, much less junior management.

I would like to be able to set my account to Australia  default search and when there is no product in australia you list international below.

The default is listed on eBay Australia, regardless of provenance. The hints will be italics denoting foreign sellers, item location denoting foreign sellers, handling times hinting at foreign sellers.

Spend some time doing some due diligence!

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

NAH your reply just shows me why I should not waste my time on.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

You have enough time to type out your original post, it would take nowhere near that long to look at who you are buying from

Nobody is forcing you to buy from overseas'

You are choosing to

Obviously you enjoying complaining about something very, very easily avoided whist choosing to support overseas sellers 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Do you ever check seller feedback or where they are registered.  That is one of the first things to do.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Yeah, it takes so much time and effort to tick a single box saying Australia only. Then it takes even way more time and effort to click on a seller's feedback to see where they are registered. All this time and effort is astounding. Those 5 seconds are such a waste of time in someone's otherwise extremely busy life. I mean, I wish I could get back those 5 seconds. Then my whole life would be complete.

Your choice where you buy from, not ebay's. They supply the platform, it's up to you to choose the seller. It's up to you to look at what seller's have and where they are sending from. You're not exactly a new member. You should already know this.

No one is "forcing" you to do anything. It's all your choice.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

it's been that for over 10years

if you are using mobile app, look for it in the extended drop down menu

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

You totally lost me at - ' being forced '.

Good grief.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@oz_local wrote:

That doesn't restrict the search to "Australian only" sellers, it includes sellers who claim to have stock in Australia and who ship to Australia unfortunately.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

It’s really not time consuming…..

here’s the quick way.

(1)  Type what you’re looking for in the search bar.

(2)  Use the *filter* tab and scroll down to: Item Location, and then select Australia only.

(3)  Use the *sort* tab and scroll down and select: nearest to me.

-Once you find the item you’re after, click on the seller name to bring up their details.
-It will show you where they are registered.  

-IF they are registered in China, but drop shipping from Sydney, then these sellers may slip through the filters.

-It’s important that your seller is registered in Australia with no less than 98.9% feedback.  (I always choose 99% - 100% feedback though, because I’m extra cautious) 😉

NOTE:  These filters will disappear next time you do a search. You will need to set these with every search you perform on the eBay app.  

It really isn’t time consuming… but I do understand your frustration, and I too agree that Australia should be the default setting on the Australian eBay site.  But that’s not profitable for eBay 😉😎😎

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply