car cigarette lighter

Howdy

I recently purchased a car cigarette lighter from the US.

Alas, for some reason customs wouldnt allow it .

Would anyone have some idea why?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: car cigarette lighter

Prerry sure back in around 2010 vehicles were restricted from having inbuilt lighters and ashtrays. They can have the lighter port for them to be used as a charger only.

Maybe that is why the lighter itself is not importable?

You can check on a govt website, but if customs have said no, it is not likley they will change the decision

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Was it purchased with GSP shipping?

I am pretty sure Pitney Bowes will not allow anything that has contained a flammable liquid to be sent through their system, even if it is OK to import into Australia.....not that I think it would be OK anyway.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

you would be getting done on it been a tobacco related product 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Doubtful silverfox, tobacco sales are not illegal in Australia and are imported by the various suppliers of same

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@jesbud69 wrote:

Howdy

I recently purchased a car cigarette lighter from the US.

Alas, for some reason customs wouldnt allow it .

Would anyone have some idea why?

Hi jesbud69, I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. How annoying. Are you restoring a car or is this just a collectable shelf-piece?

Anyway,  did the seller have the auction listed as going though GSP (Global Shipping Program), a Pitney Bowes company? They have a reputation for confiscating items deemed to be "Whatever".

Empty motorcycle petrol tanks, ceremonial and normal knives,  even an electric guitar have been confiscated.  And yet, these items usually sail through customs. In a not so nice twist to all of this, Pitney Bowes have been seen to re-sell this items.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Give it up will you....so you don't like GSP, who knew????

Oh wait - WE ALL DO

You never post any advice, just ask irrelevant questions and offer commiserations, if you learnt more about eBay you could actually offer help, REAL help, or just leave it to the one's who do know what they are talking about.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Hi lyndal1838 car cigarette lighters don't contain any flammable liquid as they're an electrical item that light up by an electric connection

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Hello,everyone. To be respectful is very important in your interaction with other members here. I'd like to remind you that content that is harmful, hostile, threatening, abusive, baiting, vulgar, defamatory, harassing, or includes hate or racist speech, name calling, or profanity will be edited or removed.  Please read about our policy here: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback/Updates-coming-to-eBay-com-au-Discussion-Boards/... Thanks very much. 🙂

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

Give it up will you....so you don't like GSP, who knew????

Oh wait - WE ALL DO

You never post any advice, just ask irrelevant questions and offer commiserations, if you learnt more about eBay you could actually offer help, REAL help, or just leave it to the one's who do know what they are talking about.

actually I have seen 4 channel post good advice and people have given him kudos  for it  and people have accepted his   solutions

I have also seen Lyndal   mention  GSP on this thread..so he is not the only one

he might be right be right about the   Confliscations      I have heard about this kind of thing happening before..

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply