eBay cart tech glitch

Hello,

Over the last month or two my eBay cart has been malfunctioning.

I will make multiple purchases and then pay for them. eBay then confirm the purchase.

When I wake up in the morning about half of my purchases are returned to my cart. (Note: the money for the items returned to my cart is not taken from my bank balance.)

The problem with this is:

Codes are not being applied correctly and I have lost somewhere between $30-$50 over the last month or two because of it.

I brought this up with eBay and they can confirm that the cart is malfunctioning but are refusing to reimburse me for the loss of money.

An "eBay Plus" rep just told me

"12:03:47 UTC
Ian It is not about losing money, it is just eBay help you to be discounted on the item that you are trying to purchase."

It appears that eBay are claiming that because they are 'codes' then if something goes wrong like their cart malfunctioning, then you are not eligible for any reimbursement. My issue with that is, the purchases I made were under the condition those codes would be applied.

Can anyone offer any advice or help?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eBay cart tech glitch

OK it seems I got a good rep and I was refunded for the codes that didn't go through.

Luckily eBay had some evidence for it on their systems.

It turned out that I was not entitled to as much as I origianlly thought, but that's no issue.

I decided to cut eBay some slack about the random items being put in my cart, I would have eventually bought them anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

eBay cart tech glitch

To add to the above post:

It's illegal to do what eBay has done here.

According to the ACCC:

Two fundamental rules of advertising and selling are that:

1. you must not engage in conduct that is likely to mislead or deceive
  2. you must not make false or misleading claims or statements.

And it goes on to say: "It should be noted that this law applies equally to any statements or claims made about products or services in the online environment. Businesses that sell or promote online should ensure that their use of online vehicles does not create any misleading impressions or include false claims."

https://www.accc.gov.au/accc-book/printer-friendly/29527

By not honoring their promotions, ebay is breaking consumer law!

I'm willing to bring this to the attention of the ACCC. 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

eBay cart tech glitch

Do it then.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

eBay cart tech glitch

I'll have to also contact my credit card company as well.

.eBay placed over $100 worth of items in my cart that I never put there.

I didn't see them when I ordered a small item and the whole lot was purchased and debited to my credit card.

And it seems live chat wants to do nothing about it?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

eBay cart tech glitch

OK it seems I got a good rep and I was refunded for the codes that didn't go through.

It turned out that I was not entitled to as much as I origianlly thought, but that's no issue.

I decided to cut eBay some slack about the random items being put in my cart, I would have eventually bought them anyway.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

eBay cart tech glitch

@kaibacorp* wrote:

Really?

@kaibacorp* wrote:

.eBay placed over $100 worth of items in my cart that I never put there.  

But you cut ebay some slack.

Mighty magnanimous of you.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

eBay cart tech glitch

"Mighty magnanimous of you."

I'm going to spend a few weeks eating baked beans on toast because of it.

Those were items that I was eventually going to buy anyway.

They were on my watched items list.

eBay were not liking the idea of doing something about it when I brought up that I didn't really want those items and I think it would have caused a lot of trouble for everyone if I took action on it.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply