eBay will not help me resolve an issue with a scam sale, what to do?

Over 2 weeks ago I purchased a PS4 game from the seller and they gave a tracking information when it was shipped, I checked the tracking information and the address the item was being delivered to was completely different from mine and also noticed some weird details like the weight being 17.4kg. I contacted the seller and asked why the address was wrong and they told me it was being shipped to their depot which will be forwarded to me.

It never came and the seller stopped responding to my messages. I opened a case through eBay for item never recieved but they closed the case saying the tracking information said it was successfully delivered. I appealed saying the tracking information wasn't even mine but they still closed the case.

So I'm out $70 and I can't do anything to get my item or refund. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get my money back. The seller is obviously a scammer now, the account had no reviews when I originally purchased the item, but now it's got negative reviews with same thing happening to other buyers.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can now open a case in PayPal but I would call them first and inform them that the seller has sent the item to a different address.

Personally I would probably open a case for INAD rather than INR.

If the seller is in Australia they will need to send you a postal label for the return before you are refunded.

But if they have scammed you, they won't ask for the return and the case should close in your favour.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can now open a case in PayPal but I would call them first and inform them that the seller has sent the item to a different address.

Personally I would probably open a case for INAD rather than INR.

If the seller is in Australia they will need to send you a postal label for the return before you are refunded.

But if they have scammed you, they won't ask for the return and the case should close in your favour.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

This is just garbage on eBay's account.

New seller registered on the the 31st of October,allowed to sell 24 items for over $1500 and because they've

uploaded false tracking information the buyers get stung.shok.gif

They now also have private feedback to prevent the negative comments from showing.

I've reported them via the eBay Facebook page as that seems to be the only way to do so these days.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I would try Paypal, but as Kopes said, ring them first, as they only require proof of postage to your postcode. If they reject your claim, there are probably still 2 options.

If you funded your purchase with a credit/Visa debit card, you could try a chargeback through your bank.

Failing that you could try the Financial Ombudsman Service. I think it's called something else these days, but a search for that should get you to the right place. If you do go the FOS route, be sure to open a Paypal dispute and let it run through first, then let them know that you have lodged a claim with the FOS. If Paypal fight and lose one of those it costs them a significant amount of money, so they tend to cave in. Be sure to record ALL details of tracking, any relevant eBay and Paypal proof of your address, basically anything that will prove your claim. That's screenshots as they show the situation at the relevant time.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

If the feedback is private can they sell anything with that id?

They are probably busy creating their next id for selling.

Do you still have the address that the parcel was delivered?

Ask ebay for contact details of seller and see if the addresses are the same.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Howdy stranger

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@i-once-was-bump wrote:

If the feedback is private can they sell anything with that id?

No,once an ID has been changed to private they can't sell whilst it stays that way.

They are probably busy creating their next id for selling.

Probably a good chance of that.

Do you still have the address that the parcel was delivered?

Ask ebay for contact details of seller and see if the addresses are the same.

Hi! Bump.give_rose.gif

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Taz, I had a "seller" try the same thing with me, tracking to a different state to mine. So I got my local PO to print out all the details they had for tracking and uploaded that to a claim after phoning eBay CS.

Unfortunately most members wouldn't know to do that to cover themselves.

I agree with you, a shabby reaction by eBay...................original.gif

Hi bump..... 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Taz, I had a "seller" try the same thing with me, tracking to a different state to mine. So I got my local PO to print out all the details they had for tracking and uploaded that to a claim after phoning eBay CS.

I just can't see how eBay can just say that's it's been delivered and they don't even check that all the info is

correct before rejecting a claim.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Unfortunately most members wouldn't know to do that to cover themselves.

Hopefully the Op will take it on board for their claim maybe?

I agree with you, a shabby reaction by eBay...................original.gif

Hi bump..... 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hi everyone Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply