ebay and sellers collude to scam postage costs...

I asked a seller to confirm the part number of an item they were selling, which they did..
I ordered based on that, yet they still sent wrong item. Not one close enough that I could just use it regardless, it wont fit ever.
The seller and eBay instruct me to pay return postage and state I will be refunded.

I paid return postage which was $12.30 in total, post, packaging, signature. He gets the item back. The seller then says he needs me to tell him my paypal account and the total so he can refund postage, he then sends a message back stating the sticker on the package only says $8.30, which is only the postage cost part of it but I had to send it signature required ($2.95), and provide a new postage pack ($1.05) to protect the item. Total cost is $12 30.

To rub salt into the wound, they then send a message saying OK, Ill refund $3. Then I only get 2.76 in my paypal.

Postage was pretty much the same cost as the part, only now I dont even have the part to sell. Options to contact ebay, or paypal have vanished... now what?

They sent the wrong part, ebay can see all messages, how hard is it to insist the seller provide the means to return, or refund without return if they refuse?. Its 100% sellers fault.

<Removed> are the theives in question. Auto parts allegedly in Sydney.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: ebay and sellers collude to scam postage costs...

Its not so much that a signature is required, as its good insurance to know who signed for it.

If the seler doenst want that, then let them provide the return label.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@user25253 wrote:

You read oddly. Ebay made it hard to follow up the sisue, I had to realy hunt for the outcome. Most people, wouldnt find it. Thats ebay, no one else.

Capisce? I shoudnt have to work that hard, I should be able to just click the item, and state my issue, not find it looping stating its been closed as if its a dead end. I should find the item in my list of transactions, easily but I couldnt. And it shoudnt shut down just because some auto system says its solved. Its a flawed system and Im betting it wouldnt be striuctly legal to create a system that facilitates sellers to shaft buyers.. Certainly not for a business the size of ebay, with so many Australians finding it hard to exercise their rights.

I asked, because I already have the more common rating that most part shops interchange as being the same (its not, for many it doenst matter, to me it did). I ordered online because I wanted the specific rating and this seller stated thats what it was. But see they describe the model of car in the listing, not the part number, and state use the model in the title as a guide too. The part number is additional information. Not to mention the car in question has both part numbers listed for the model. So I did my due diligence.

Its easy, I ordered a CA18125, and got a CB16110, wrong physical size, and wrong pressure.

People drop ship. Item may come from Sydeny, seller could be anywhere.

I dint have their packaging as it was taped and I had to cut it to open it, and it went in the bin at the post office I collected it from.

The seller still hasnt refunded the postage amount, thats dishonesty. I paid the day I ordered. I should get a speedy return.

I decided not to wait for delivery again, and ordered the part from Autobarn, had it the next morning, for about $1 less.

What was your purpose here again? Stop wasting my time, scoll on.

Thanks, you have confirmed my suspicions.  Another one for the list

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Hello,everyone. To be respectful is very important in your interaction with other members here. I'd like to remind you that content that is harmful, hostile, threatening, abusive, baiting, vulgar, defamatory, harassing, or includes hate or racist speech, name calling, or profanity will be edited or removed. Please read about our policy here: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback/Updates-coming-to-eBay-com-au-Discussion-Boards/... Thanks very much. 🙂

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Someone that wanted what they ordered, and tried to do all they could to avoid problems.

Add me to your list, if you dont grasp what the words mean, Id prefer never to deal with you.

Still no refund from the seller. It will be left to ebay to pay for them.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

I hope you do get your 24 ¢ refund. After all, it's not the principle so much as the amount.

🤞

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Its $9.24 I was shortchanged ... not 24c  

And the principle has to do with ebay making it harder to follow up these things. Hiding the methods of resolution while leading you to methods that indicate you can not pursue it further, the links disappear, or when you click an avenue of reporting it loops you back to your list of transactions, then when you select the appropriate transaction, the page you fall on says the case is closed, no more links. Then says thanks for taking time blah blah, if we were unable to help you we would loive to help, but no links to help. Yet everywhere else theres links for this and that. A refund of not the right amount, still closes it off. That shouyldnt happen, and it shouildnt be this hard.

Not sure why people feel the need to defend making a sytem rife with loopholes. Made more evident by the inability to grasp simnple maths deperately looking for the opportunity for sarcasm.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

And for clarity, its actually 12.30, less 2.62 thats actually credited to my Paypal account.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@user25253 wrote:

Its not so much that a signature is required, as its good insurance to know who signed for it.

If the seler doenst want that, then let them provide the return label.

That just means the signature was for your benefit, so not required for anything else. 

I'm not arguing against the principle you've raised, in general, but in cases where the seller doesn't (or can't) provide a return label, the service(s) used and costs need to be pre-approved by the seller in order for eBay to agree to force reimbursement of the amount, since it's on their (the seller's) dime - this system is in place to prevent buyers from using services that aren't necessary, or have over the top costs, and then lumping the seller with the bill (an extreme example of this is a buyer in Tas I know of who wanted to return a large item, seller was happy to pay freight costs which would have been between $100-$200, buyer was trying to insist on using a service that would have cost nearly $1000, which serves to highlight why this policy is in place). 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply