ebay ends 15% purchases off early

ebay fails again 

ebay offered 15% off purchases  Quote "Max discount $300 per transaction; 2 transactions per person allowed. Ends 31 Dec" and now have ended the promotion early so anyone who had been buying items from several different seller to reach the taget amount of purchases of $150 in the hope of getting a 15% discount at checkout will be disappointed . Another dismal failure from eBay

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: ebay ends 15% purchases off early

This is a prime example of "Bait" advertising at its worst

For the uninformed bait advertising is when a company advertising an item or a service for sale that they dont have, or only have  a minimal amount to get customers into the store, what is worse about this offer is you had to actually commit to buy the item before you found out that the  Promotional offer was no longer valid. I have also sent a complaint to the ACCC in regards to the way eBay has ended the promotion

Message 21 of 36
Latest reply

I played dumb, and called to explain I was trying to buy an item, but was stuck at the checkout. The coupon code wasn't working!?

She gave the following excuse, no doubt scripted for all the poor buggers having to field calls about this today:

"The promotion was ended early, because of the amount of people taking up the offer, which would affect supply times for customers, which we don't want customers to suffer."

She had a look through my history, noted that I'd used a $10 off coupon in the past (with a tone that suggested I was should count myself lucky enough), then quickly folded and told me she'd pass along the 15% on the purchase.

The kicker is, they put it into your paypal account within 15-20 working days.

I asked if they send out confirmation of it, and they will not. I asked her how I'd have proof of the arrangement, and she said to write down the conversation code.

So it's still possible, I'm sure their legal team had everything ran past them, so they know the need to honour the offer as advertised.

Still, it's a big nuisance to have to wait for the money, considering I only had enough in paypal to cover the discounted price.

Message 22 of 36
Latest reply

Did ebay know there were going to be some angry buyers missing the 15% -this appears on my ebay page today

Message 23 of 36
Latest reply

Well done !!!  But the kicker is you will need to keep an eye on this and chase it up till you receive the discount.  I hope that everyone does this.  I'm sure eBay are counting on buyers eventually forgetting about it ....... sigh

Message 24 of 36
Latest reply

With a promotion code a while ago, the code failed to be recognised at checkout. When all the conditions were met.

With that one, if eBay was contacted, and promised to honour it, they did. Took a couple of weeks. But, they sent me an email saying they would. In this thread it's been posted that the rep wouldn't put it in writing. That's a bit of a worry. Maybe, they need to get a default "we will reimburse you" email ready.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 25 of 36
Latest reply

kymb500
Community Member

Just spent 2 hours plus on hold to ebay customer service (or lack of) trying to find out what happened.  Funny that all their computer systems are down and they cant access customer details.  Gave up in the end.  Was not made aware that T&C changed and was bidding on an expensive item.  Given that hey can email out all the other info very surprised that they didn't let members know.  I wonder how many people got stung like I did?  Not a happy ebayer!

Message 26 of 36
Latest reply

The Facebook page " EBay.com.au " is asking members to send a private message through this Facebook page, claiming they will "sort it out".  So that's also a possible option to follow up.

Message 27 of 36
Latest reply

Thanks for that.  I ended up requesting a call back from Customer Service and finally got to speak to a person.  After telling them about my purchase and the lack of notice on cancelling the promotion, they have said that they will credit 15% of the purchase price to my Paypal account which they say will take upto 21 days (I will be checking to make sure it comes through).  They did check that I had used Paypal.  I hope this helps others.

Message 28 of 36
Latest reply

FYI: Original offer attached

Message 29 of 36
Latest reply

yep read clause 18 .  the old reserve the rights.

Message 30 of 36
Latest reply