ebay guarantee, its like dealing with the mad hatter....

An item purchased form an Aussie seller went missing, but marked by tracking as delivered. Auspost told me to contact sender and check address used, and if correct the sender needed to launch an enquiry. The seller did both, but failed or refused to authorise sharing of information and had become obstructive so was no point furthering that discussion through him. Ebay has zero interest in asking the seller for a copy of correspondence which he had, instead relying on the unreliable assertion tracking said delivered. But worst of all, was ebays insistence either seller or buyer could access the information. I had been on the phone to Aus Post twice, both times they denied me access to the outcome as I had no authorisation and informed ebay of that. But this did not stop ebays one representative after another, insisting I was wrong. This went on for hours and days, at least 1/2 dozen emails where I told them of the privacy laws, and they just insisted I was wrong, never once verifying if they were in fact wrong They just insisted because other couriers, in other parts of the world shared information. I state privacy laws re AusPost, and that ebay couldn't give me details of other members for exactly the same reasons, but it all fell on ignorant ears. Australia Post informed me as the seller had an enquiry, no other could be launched until it was closed, and that was anything up to 10 days after that a new enquiry could be launched in which I would have access to the outcomes. ebay set a deadline of 3 days. They extended it for 3 days, insisting I had rights to access, but that extension included a weekend which AusPost does not man the appropriate call centres on weekends. But I did have until Monday 10 Apr 2017 . I received contact from AusPost about 4pm Monday and by 6pm had the email evidence from AP confirming the item was not delivered to my address. And now they just ignore me, no response. To them the matter closed before I got the response in. Amazing, they could have asked the seller, nope. The seller is clearly being obstructive as he isnt sharing the knowledge it was not delivered with ebay, the alternative being theat ebay do know, and are being obstructive themselves. One thing is certain, AusPost has not passsed the buck, and acknowledge hte delivery contractor messed up., and the seller has been well aware of it, since Tuesday of last week. Ebay could have asked AusPost, about sharing policy and privacy laws, but nope. They could have honoured their unprofessional deadline of Monday, but nope. Ridiculous.
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: ebay guarantee, its like dealing with the mad hatter....

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you pay with paypal?

If you did then just open an Item Not Received dispute in paypal to get your refund.

I really don't know why members go through that ridiculous ebay dispute when a paypal one is so much simpler and quicker.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I received contact from AusPost about 4pm Monday and by 6pm had the email evidence from AP confirming the item was not delivered to my address

And upload any evidence that you have.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I used PayPal, but ebay offer a guarantee. The point was they ensure its impossible to meet the demands, and when you do, they change the goal posts. I will go via PayPal.
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Ebay offer guarantee for item not as described but PayPal offer guarantee for item not received.

It all sux pretty much because they're both still holding each others hands even though they say they're not Woman Frustrated

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Unfortunately, PayPal won't do any good if the seller has proof of shipping, which it sounds like they do.
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Yes ebay offers a guarantee NOW but paypal has always offered a mony back guarantee without the hassle of ebay.

The ebay guarantee is best for an item that is not as described as the seller pays the return postage....with paypal the buyer pays the return postage unless they opt for the paypal return postage promotion which is limited.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@user25253 wrote:
An item purchased form an Aussie seller went missing, but marked by tracking as delivered. Auspost told me to contact sender and check address used, and if correct the sender needed to launch an enquiry

If this ever happens again, don't believe this - if a package is in transit, the sender needs to make the inquiry, if the package has been marked as delivered, the recipient can lodge an inquiry directly with Australia Post. In fact often Aus Post will tell the sender they can't lodge a full inquiry once a package is delivered.

Realistically, your dispute is with Australia Post - they are the ones who stuffed up. Of course, it would help a lot more if the seller is willing to assist you, but you never know what half-truths the seller has also been told. 

eBay's guarantee is supposed to be for successful delivery, whereas PayPal's doesn't even look at the delivery status, just whether or not the seller posted to the address you provided - I'd suggest that you post your complaint on eBay's Australian Facebook page if you want to pursue that avenue. Have everything detailed in short sentences, and provide any documentation you can when asked for it. If you try a PayPal dispute, there's a 99% chance it will fail if the seller didn't mess up the address, and opening a PP dispute will also void any recourse you might have with eBay (you can open a PayPal dispute after a failed eBay dispute, but the second you try any other kind of resolution process like PayPal or your credit card issuer, eBay's guarantee is off the table). 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

True, but I have an admission from AusPost they messed up delivery. It was not delivered to me.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Im aware of the fact an addressee can initiate an enquiy, but Aus Post staff told me the sender needed too.

ebay put itself off the table. They have ignored me since the weekend.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply