extended time for paypal disputes now 180 days

boggo58
Community Member

This is the best news ever. How many of us forget the 40? Odd days and miss out on putting in a dispute, this will get sellers to improve . The main thing as well is NOT TO GIVE FEED BACK, ESPECIALLY POSITIVE straight away, a lot of people do. Wait till the last few days then do it!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: extended time for paypal disputes now 180 days

Some people don't recognise satire when they read it, I think

Latest reply

@boggo58 wrote:

This is the best news ever. How many of us forget the 40? Odd days and miss out on putting in a dispute, 

I couldn't agree more.  I wish every company I dealt with made extra special allowances for my forgetfulness and failure to follow their explicit instructions. Seriously, how awesome would it be if I could just tell my electricity company that I forgot to pay my bill and they'd go, no worries, here's a 6-month extension for you. Or the video store when I hire something and forget to take it back, all I'd have to do is say "oops" and they'd waive all those late fees.

Bring it on. 

Message 12 of 68
Latest reply

Absolutely digi!

Wondering how many cans of Lynx would be sent back INAD cos blokes "didnt pull a chick I want a refund ".........

The mind seriously boggles...........Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 68
Latest reply

Seriously I hope you are joking!!!

If not well, I hope there aren't too many buyers with your attitude otherwise I won't be here, I will have no choice but to go else where, just the same as many, many, many other sellers. But I refuse to stress atm I will stress if or when it happens to me. I have been trying to ignore the negative impact this could have on Ebay. I am hoping that buyers would be smart enough to realise if they abuse or take advantage of this new policy they are the ones who will lose the most in the end. As no seller is going to stick around if they are being taken for a ride, and prices will rise as sellers have to factor in extra costs!!!

Message 14 of 68
Latest reply

I noticed from your feedback you have sold a few things. Imagine if 6 months after you sold the caravan antenna or the X-box, or the DVD player, the buyer turned around and put in a claim for item not as described because after flogging both to death for 6 months, they now no longer work. You would have to refund their money. If you didn't, PayPal would just take it from you. Do you think that's fair?

Message 15 of 68
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

a claim for item not as described because after flogging both to death for 6 months, they now no longer work. You would have to refund their money. If you didn't, PayPal would just take it from you. Do you think that's fair?

Welcome to the exciting new world of an eBay '180' seller... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQONhRMHBTU

Message 16 of 68
Latest reply

I am wondering how PayPal will decide an INAD claim for eBay items after 3 months when in a lot of cases the description no longer exists here after 90 days - keeping photos is all very well and good, but some things can only be conveyed via words, and screen shots would hardly be acceptable evidence (at least, due to them being extremely easily to alter, they shouldn't be acceptable). 

I'm also wondering how a claim would be decided if a seller says something like "will last for 1 month" or similar - if it then lasts for 5 months, is it still not as described?   O_O

Message 17 of 68
Latest reply

@modestbods wrote:

@boggo58 wrote:

This is the best news ever. 

What more about an item do you need to know, that you don't already know within 45 days, that you then need 6 months to know to lodge a not as described claim?

Say I bought a lawn mower, a chainsaw and baby monitor the other day/week (Go the group deals! Go, you good thing!). All brand new. I expect them to last more than 45 days (i do afterall only mow the lawn that the ride on can't get to with a small mower every 2 weeks). At least once this comes in I have 180 days of guaranteed use.

Another scenario is I intend to purchase a pressure cleaner for a christmas gift. I don't want to use it before I give it away as a gift, so it could well be 45 days before it even gets taken out of the box far less checked over and tried out that it will work more than once.

In the past I have refrained from buying such items online, but now, with the 6 months protection, it provides a bit more incentive.

Recall also, that eBay are not the only people who use PayPal, or the only people to whom PayPal cater.

I think that if people contact PayPal, they will be told that this is the kind of transaction that will be given consideration for the 180 day period of coverage, and other items will be subjected to a far greater scrutiny following the 45 days.

How many times do we see on these boards that a seller doesn't honour warranties and it is then up to the buyer to try and get some recourse from the manufacturer themselves? (if they can) Recall that it is the suppliers' responsibility to chase up the manufacturer, not the buyers.

Message 18 of 68
Latest reply

@muppet_detector wrote:

I think that if people contact PayPal, they will be told that this is the kind of transaction that will be given consideration for the 180 day period of coverage, and other items will be subjected to a far greater scrutiny following the 45 days.

Why should that even be necessary, though? 

PayPal plocies, the ones they follow (or the ones you can get enforced if they don't), and the protections available to all members (including their inherent limitations) are all written in black and white in their user agreement.

If there are limitations to claims, they need to be explicit at all times, and at this point in time, there aren't even any implicit limitations to the 180 day dispute time-frame. 

No amount of PayPal saying informally "but don't worry, we'll look at things differently if a claim is opened on day 50" will assauge my current concerns.

Message 19 of 68
Latest reply

@modestbods wrote:

" particularly non-business sellers,"
"eBay has been a great place for buying & selling both for private individuals & businesses,"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

A big issue here on the boards are sellers who don't realise that they are considered to be business sellers when it comes to application of the consumer laws.

For the purposes of consumer law, the concern is not turn over, revenue, expense or source. It is about regularity.

A non business seller (for the purposes of consumer law) is one who makes a one off sale (for example a garage sale or places an isolated wanted to sell advertisement) not someone who sells with any klind of regularity. Thus anybody selling even one item a month, or a few over more than one isolated time - they have established a pattern of regularity and more than likely must comply with consumer law standards.

Both the new eBay rules and the new PayPal rules do no more than provide consumer law protection without the need for costly legal action for longer than 45 days.

Message 20 of 68
Latest reply