fake claim

what is ebay gonna do about some seller pose misleading information. I.E their bases in China but clail they are from local market. Eventually the buyer keeps waiting ages to get the products. and when the product is damaged. it takes long time to get repaired.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

fake claim

you've got to 'report the listing'.....there's a report button on every listing....keep at it
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

fake claim

@aupricesurf wrote:

what is ebay gonna do about some seller pose misleading information. I.E their bases in China but clail they are from local market. Eventually the buyer keeps waiting ages to get the products. and when the product is damaged. it takes long time to get repaired.

Q - what is ebay gonna do about some seller pose misleading information. I.E their bases in China but clail they are from local market

A - nothing

HOWEVER, there are some things that buyers can do.  These include, but are not limited to:

- Checking seller feedback comments not just the %.  Look at the negative comments and neutral comments first because they are easy to isolate. Look for comments like "item not in Aust but from China" or "took a long time to arrive because seller is in China".  Then check positive feedback that includes a comment with a negative tone.

- Checking the number of revised feedback.  The Chinese are masters at manipulating buyers into revising feedback.  Only negative or neutral feedback can be revised, so pay attention to how many feedbacks have been revised.  Revised feedback helps the seller keep an overall high feedback % rating.

- Checking the seller DSRs, especially for Item Description and Postage Time.

- Reading the whole description, regardless of how long it is.  Many of these location misrepresented products are not misrepresented at all when the seller includes in their description a statement like "when local supplies run low we may supply your purchase from our overseas wharehouses" right down towards the end of a lengthy description.  Most buyers do not get that far down the description as they are seduced by the low price and free postage.  This is a dead giveaway that the item will come from mainland China, Hong Kong or Malaysia.

- Look at the item and the price and the postage.  Items from China will generally be FREE POSTAGE low cost items.  If the item can't possibly be posted from Australian cities for free for the price you are buying it for then it is most likely to come from China where the postage is heavily subsidised by the government to encourage exports.

- Check the description for any "Chinglish"

- Be a more discerning buyer with realistic expectations when buying on eBay.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

fake claim

To add to the above, be wary of sellers saying they are in Darwin. Of course there are genuine sellers in Darwin, but a lot are Chinese saying they are in Darwin when in fact they're not. That's where checking the seller feedback comes into it to see where they are registered. Also check under the postage tab to see what service they are sending with.

I saw a listing several years ago where the seller stated they were in Australia. Even if they were, they still used a translator to create the listing. The dead giveaway is, instead of "item", it will be called a "project". e.g instead of saying "if you are unhappy with your item, please contact us", it would say "if not happy with project......".

If the seller is in China and uses a translator, I have absolutely no problem with it. One time I did have to contact a seller regarding an item that was well overdue. What I had written didn't translate well enough for them to understand......until I used project instead of item. Then it all made sense!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

fake claim

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

To add to the above, be wary of sellers saying they are in Darwin. Of course there are genuine sellers in Darwin, but a lot are Chinese saying they are in Darwin when in fact they're not. That's where checking the seller feedback comes into it to see where they are registered. Also check under the postage tab to see what service they are sending with.

thanks for adding that tippy.  I had forgotten about that Darwin tip.

I will add to my previous post and clarify what I meant about being a discerning buyer.

eBay is no longer the place to regularly get bargains.  You will often get good priced items, but the days of mum & dad sellers running 99c start auctions for good/rare items are well gone.

I know this is just a generalisation, but browsing eBay.au nowadays is akin to looking at an online shopping mall for big retailers running Buy-Now listings, dropshippers, sellers of cheap Chinese junk, and the occasional independent small seller based in Australia (small compared to the big retailers).

To expect that an item that costs just a few dollars would be sent as a parcel by Aust Post to originate in Australia is just plain unrealistic.  It flags the misleading location.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply