free gift with iPad scam!

Hello 

I was hoping to get some guidance.

I recently purchased an ipad (1800AUD) from a local seller and it came with a free gift (key ring).  So I got the keyring which had the tracking number he included but nothing else.  I waited a while longer and still no ipad. 

I raised a dispute with paypal and they are currently investigating.  The status so far is that there was a tracking number and a delivered item.

It has been a while and I am concerned that paypal might think the item recieved was the ipad instead of the keyring.  

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Do I have any recourse if paypal doesnt do anything?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You should have opened a dispute with eBay for item not as described. If you have opened a dispute with PayPal for item not received, then you are basically screwed. You cant then go back an open a dispute with ebay. If you opened a dispute for item not received through PayPal, see if you can change it to not as described. I know there used to be the option to do that. If you don't, you will lose the dispute as the seller can show a tracking number.

If all else fails, if the seller is indeed local, you can take legal action against them. Report online to the cyber crime (I can't remember what they call themselved these days, but it used to be ACORN).

Please come back and let us know how you go. Good luck.

Edited to add: I have asked the moderators to move this to the buyers forum, so you can have access to a lot more help than what you'll possibly get here in Community Feedback.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

If the case is still open call PayPal and say you selected the wrong case and if they can change it to a INAD case.

image host
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

For future refernce for other buyers reading this topic: if you need to raise a dispute, do so through eBay first, and until that has run its course, do *not* open a PayPal dispute. If you have not luck through eBay you can still try through PayPal.  But once you open a PayPal dispute, eBay's Money Back Guarantee is permanently closed to you.

OP, what is the listing number for the iPad?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

what was the packaging like?  The reason I ask is that if he packed the keyring himself then it may have a postage label that includes the weight of the package.  A keyring would not weigh as much as an iPad, so if the postage sticker shows the weight then that would bolster your case.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@burgerman67 wrote:

Do I have any recourse if paypal doesnt do anything?

If you have not escalated the dispute to a claim in PayPal yet, you should have the option to change it from Item Not Received to Item Not As Described - missing items or parts.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

It was a smaller envelope.  Just got back from the post office they helped identify the size of the satchel so i ewill send this to them.

thank you!

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@burgerman67 wrote:

It was a smaller envelope.  Just got back from the post office they helped identify the size of the satchel so i ewill send this to them.

thank you!

so not something that an iPad would fit into?  Take a picture that shows the tracking number on the envelope as evidence that the iPad was not shipped on that tracking number.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Unfortunately we live and learn!

Thanks for the advice!

The listing was 383565469881. Paypal said they were going to freeze the account so you may not see it.

thnaks

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

thanks for coming back to update us.

Let us know the final outcome once PayPal make a determination.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply