how to manually change postage cost

Here is a story, a real but scary story:   I purchased a small item on Ebay from a UK seller.  The postage was more than the purchase price of the item.  I contacted the seller and she kindly said that she will reduce the postage cost, BUT, the postage was set by ebay on thier international priority mail service (I feel sure that Ebay is making money from this)  Consider the ebay cost of $40.00AU for a small parcel international delivery against 8.90GBP $18.00 AU and the price of the item at 17.00GBP  you will see why Australian buyers are not buyingn from the UK as much as they used to.

This purchase was to be paid for through Paypal on the 10th October, and the postage had been reduced, on ebay's please pay notice by the seller at that time. However, when I went to paypal it had the Ebay postage still operative ($40.00AU)

I contacted ebay Australia and they said a lot of things, none of which were of any use to me other than I should contact ebay UK and explain it all to them.  It was at this time that I realised that every person of working age, above 8 years, was employed in call centers in the Philippines, who collects the garbage and does all the  other big city facilitation is anyone's guess.  I perservered and was told by ebay UK that ebay Australia did not know what they were talking about (Probably competing for a better position in the same call center)

The seller could not use the manual invoice system without the forbidden email of mine.  Today I tried again after further negative information from the seller, and was given the seller's phone number in the UK, So I am waiting for all the pommies to get out of bed so I can ring up and try this new avenue.

Sellers, for small items do not click on t he 'accept international priority postage offered by ebay, take the cost from the local post office instead, and us colonials will continue to buy.

OH! such fun.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The seller is probably using the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping service and there is no way they can change the postage once the item is listed, all they can do, if they want to and it would be a risk for them, is to send a mutual cancellation request and then re list the item using a different delivery method.  As in the US which has had Global Shipping for a long time now many sellers do not even realise they are signed up to it, they have to actively opt out before listing.

If the seller is not prepared to cancel and relist you will not be able tyo d much other than not pay, the seller may open an unpaid item dispute insead of a cancellation (which they should do) in which case if you get a strike ring ebay and appeal it showing them the messges agreeing to cheaper postage that you were quoted by the seller.

Au customer support probably wouldn't know much about this service as it is not available in Australia, only the US and the UK.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

The seller could send you an invoice through Paypal for the correct amount.  They have your email in their Order Details.  They might still have to pay the FVF on the full postage amount, would be a couple of pounds.

Another thought is are you using the mobilie app?  There are loads of problems with it, this one sounds a bit familiar.  If so, try the desktop site.

Otherwise the seller will need to cancel and relist as PJ said.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Finally I got on to someone that knew how to do a manual invoice on Paypal adn the payment is not sent and received.  However, and there is  usually an however with Ebay, I am still sent payment requests, until I looked through some processes and found, "Mark Item Paid."

I reckon, when war breaks out, we should engage Ebay to send communications to the enemy, by the time the other side works  out the communication it will be all over.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply