i have just found out that just because a seller issues a tracking number does not mean they posted

i recentlly had a seller insist that an item had been posted.   but australia post said they had no  scans of posting

they apparently issue people with an account tracking numbers for their manifestos  but this does not prove they posted the item

when the same seller freguently uses this excuse i think ebay should investigate 

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

i have just found out that just because a seller issues a tracking number does not mean they posted

Best report the seller to eBay then, they certainly won't be able to investiaget anything if they do not know it is happening 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

ebay needs to be aware of this problem by simply monitoring feed back  its their business to

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Again, tell eBay

Nobody here has any more control over what eBay do than you do

Or don't don't buy from a seller who has so many negs for being dodgy about false tracking to start with

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

If a seller posts a parcel in a letterbox outside a PO there's unlikely to be any scan take place until it's either scanned somewhere along its journey or possibly not until it actually arrives.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

You're quite right & it is something I discovered too when reading these boards in the past.

Ebay would be well aware. All businesses can and do do it, it isn't exclusive to ebay.

But you can pretty well monitor it yourself. When it just says something like tracking number issued, that doesn't necessarily mean it is on its way.

You have to look out for later notifications.

They should say something like-received by Aust Post at such and such a time, being processed through such and such a place, in transit, on board for delivery etc.

You usually get a whole series of them.

I have found quite a few businesses might tell you the tracking number but take a day or so to actually lodge the item at the PO.

However, if you've bought on ebay, you've got something else. You've got an estimated date of delivery.

If it goes past that, you have every right to message a seller and just say-I have not received my item and if you check  the tracking number you'll see it shows that the item has not yet been lodged at the post office.

They can't argue with that, because the tracking number will support you.

If they try to  say they posted it ages ago, doesn't matter, just repeat-you haven't received it.

Don't let them fob you off, if it isn't there within a few days after the ETA, open an official ebay claim for item not received. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@amron_123 wrote:

i recentlly had a seller insist that an item had been posted.   but australia post said they had no  scans of posting

they apparently issue people with an account tracking numbers for their manifestos  but this does not prove they posted the item

when the same seller freguently uses this excuse i think ebay should investigate 

Some Chinese sellers (often who say the item is in Oz) register a tracking number with AP soon after the item is sold - but before the item has actually left Chiina let alone arrived at Botany or where ever.  I think in all the purchases I've made from Chinese sellers in the last few years (and there hasn't been many) only one seemed to have the item already in Oz based on the purchase to delivery time.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Sometimes AP simply doesn't bother scanning the items. I had one item (registered post) where the one and only time it was scanned is when it went through the initial post office.

On the selling side of things, when you add a tracking number to a buyer's item, eBay automatically marks the item as sent (note that "sent" just means posted, rather than meaning it was delivered to the buyer's address).

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

If the seller prints a postage label through Ebay or through Aus Post, then there is a tracking number produced.  If you wish to see where your parcel is up to in terms of transit, ask for that tracking number. 

But at the end of the day if you have not received the parcel by the due date (as estimated by Ebay) then you have reason for complaint, or for poor feedback.

What was your actual problem?  Did you receive the parcel outside of the expected timeframe?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

how to you can start an investigation without ebays assistance  ITS  EBAY THAT STARTS THE CASE  THEY ISSUE A CASE NUMBER then its up to you to get in toucth with the seller who says wait a week..  fully knowing that have not sent it  emails from aus post and all corrispandance was supplied to seller   all the above take valuable time  hope this explains my enquiry better

Chas   

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply