if you intend business on Ebay, unfortunately you have to do it in an open book style!

if you intend business on Ebay, unfortunately you have to do it in an open book style!

If you buy something on ebay and decide to sell it back... buyers can find out your buy price by simply going through you feedback and reviewing "Item Numbers" or click on the "View" Item to check your purchase.

Making your feedback private means you can not sell on ebay! but there is no way of leaving the feedback in the public domain but making the item private.

I hope ebay sees sense in offering an option like this in the future.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

most regular buyers/sellers get around this by having two ids:   one for buying and one for selling.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

most regular buyers/sellers get around this by having two ids:   one for buying and one for selling.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

It's probably advantageous to have different accounts for buying and selling .

You've been a member since 2004  surely you have seen this done ? If not , now you know . Makes selling and buying a whole lot easier Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

It used to be very easy for people to track other ebayers purchases, but ebay have clamped right down on this in the last couple of months. Advanced search no longer works and purchased items are not shown in feedback any more. You would have to waste a fair bit of time to track down a particular item now. Most people have got a life and wouldnt be bothered. As others have already said set up a buying ID. or hold the purchased items for around 3 months untill they drop off of all of the ebay records before re-offering them for sale.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I stand corrected. just checked your feedback and your "view item"  icon is still there. I thought ebay phased that out ??? It hasnt showed in feedback searches I have done recently ???

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

I stand corrected. just checked your feedback and your "view item"  icon is still there. I thought ebay phased that out ??? It hasnt showed in feedback searches I have done recently ???

"view item" will only come up when it's been a sale by the OP, his/her bought items are still anonymous as a buyer, the same with "advanced search" (which will not work at all for buyers).

The way around the item views as a seller is to have "private listings" but many buyers are very wary of items listed that way, so it's probably counter-productive to go down that path, unless selling items of a sensitive nature or expensive items.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

In all the many years I have been buying and selling on ebay I have never done both on the same account. Apart from not wanting buyers to know I purchased the item for a quarter of the price from a seller who hadn't a clue how to do a good listing it leaves you wide open to being tasrgetted by a disgruntled seller who has done the wrong thing and received a red dot, too easy for them to buy something with another id and create a problem for you.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Doesn't it cost $'s to have another id? Often wondered about doing this but in the end gave up as didn't want double costs.  

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Buyers don't pay any fees to use eBay. All that you need is a separate email address.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

AAAH Of course, I was thinking with my "sellers hat" on, will have to get another email address. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply