invalid tracking number AU post

ytwo000
Community Member

I bought 5 times from the same seller in a period of 3 months and every time i check the tracking number they supply ( AU post site) it comes up as invalid. Even after delivery the number is still invalid.

Items are small and are posted inside an ordinary envelope with a 70 cent stamp and placed in my mail box without signing for or anything.

My question is, is this seller making up a tracking number just to be safe with ebay incase a sale goes bad ?

Anyone know whats going on ?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: invalid tracking number AU post

@ytwo000 wrote:

My question is, is this seller making up a tracking number just to be safe with ebay incase a sale goes bad ?

Certainly looks that way.

An ordinary envelope, only a 70c stamp on it, not signed for, invalid number.

It won't protect the seller if the sale goes pear shaped. As long as the seller isn't charging you tracking, personally I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

@digupatin wrote:

It won't protect the seller if the sale goes pear shaped. As long as the seller isn't charging you tracking, personally I wouldn't worry about it too much.

They charge $2.50 even though they use a 70 cent stamp but i dont mind paying the $2.50 at all cause the items are cheap anyway. I dont know if they are charging me for tracking.

I'll keep buying from this seller but was curious to why tracking numbers are all invalid.

Thanks for the response digupatin Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

At $2.50 your seller would not cover any tracking costs. My guess is, they are making up a tracking number to try to discourage unscrupulous buyers who make a practice of claiming  they have not recieved their item and just claim their money back from paypal. This form of "online shoplifting" has become a serious problem particularly for sellers of cheap bulk items since ebay introduced its  money back gaurantee some time ago.  The false tracking wont protect the seller in case of a claim, but can act as a detterent to the shoplifters.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@ytwo000 wrote:

@digupatin wrote:

They charge $2.50 even though they use a 70 cent stamp but i dont mind paying the $2.50 at all cause the items are cheap anyway. I dont know if they are charging me for tracking.

I'll keep buying from this seller but was curious to why tracking numbers are all invalid.

Thanks for the response digupatin Smiley Wink

Buyers should note that recent changes announced to ebays tracking number policies could make many sellers of small, low value items unviable. Ebay has introduced a box in the feedback section for buyers to tick yes or no to the question " Did your item arrive by ***** date " ( ebays estimated delivery date ) . If a buyer clicks NO, the sellers account may be impacted and their selling restricted.

The only way around this for sellers is to include tracking ( at an extra cost of around $3.00 ) to every envelope, even the 70 cent ones. This cost will need to be passed onto buyers. Sellers will also have to hand deliver these items over the counter at a post office, and require the AP staff to scan them in on the spot. This will have to be done within the sellers stated handling time. Sellers will no longer be able to just mail the envelopes in a red box after work or on weekends as the items are unlikely to get scanned as sent for several days.

Australia Posts recent announcement that ordinary mail will take several days LONGER to deliver is going to play havoc with sellers ratings for handling times.

All of this is shaping up for the PERFECT STORM  that could see the Australian sellers of low value items, currently mailed in envelopes become unviable and leave ebay enmasse. It probably wont worry the big Chinese guys much though.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

PS I am already responding to changes by phasing out my cheaper items, priced under $15. I am the only supplier in Australia of some of these items so its already happening in my stores .

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

A letter can't be tracked unless it's sent registered postage,and they are a very sneaky seller IMO

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

No intention of being picky charmeleon, your points are spot on, but just for anyone reading this thread and considering using Registered Post, the individually purchased labels are actually $3.70 (a little less if bought in bulk box of 50) to which you still have to add the applicable post - which I would think in most cases would at least be $1.40 for Large Letter (and who knows what it will be in the future with the AP changes - they aren't saying anything about Large Letters - even my LPO owner/Manager doesn't know !)

Getting back to the topic though, I had noticed the Chinese have been adding false Tracking Numbers for months now, mainly on smaller orders - when the package arrives, it clearly states on the package UNTRACKED however, a Tracking Number has been uploaded Smiley Surprised  (that said, there are many who do use valid tracking). I have no problem with most Chinese Sellers, but can only assume this nonsense was introduced there earlier & they have found a way to get around it Smiley Surprised  If I've noticed, others have too I'm sure and have adopted the same principal - my concern is, the Chinese seem to be able to get away with just about anything - whereas we can't  Smiley Frustrated

Just my opinion for what it's worth (or not worth !) . . . . . . . . . . .

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

A letter can't be tracked unless it's sent registered postage,and they are a very sneaky seller IMO

Personally, there's no way I could charge $2.50 for postage and stick a 70c stamp on a standard envelope and then sleep at night, but hey, that's just me.  Hahaha, I charge $1.80 for a padded envelope and feel bad !  But the postage costs $1.40, greedy bay get their 18 odd cents & the envelope costs say 15 cents and I allow 7 cents to cover printing & labels - but for for the small items I sell, it seems disproportionate.

I am sure I could try posting some of my items for 70cents in a standard envelope, but as they are not documents, that would be dishonest, not to mention they not make it through the system and the end result would be an unhappy customer.  Plus with my items it just wouldn't look professional (important to me, but maybe not to others or some buyers).

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

mb, the rates for large letters (not priority mail) are included in the latest price increase submission to the ACCC and they are based on the same as now, 2x, 3x and 5x the standard stamp price.

Aus Post isn't announcing the priority rates for letters or large letters until they receive approval for the increase.

large_letter_rates.JPG

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply