item not received

boggo58
Community Member

if i put in a claim for Item not received and the seller offers to resend another, am i obliged to accept it?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: item not received

It's generally considered the seller's prerogative whether a refund or replacement is sent, particularly working under the assumption that you want the item first and foremost, but most reasonable sellers would understand there are circumstances in which a refund would be more appropriate (time-sensitive purchases, for example).

You can tell the seller that, for whatever reason, a refund is preferred and see what they say. If a dispute is already open, I personally would not re-send an item, but if they do you could always wait to see if it arrives before escalating to a claim. 

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

A scammer wants a refund so they can keep the item and have the money

An honest buyer is happy with a replacement

just saying

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

just saying

Some things are best not said.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

just saying

I have had situations where I had lost all confidence in a seller.

Like them not responding to three emails until a dispute is opened and then they respond within the hour and wanting to wast any more time waiting for something that may or may not show up.

In the above case the seller admitted they didn't have stock and were waiting for stock and that's why my item had not been sent even after they emailed me stating the item had been posted two weeks earlier.

Put bluntly seller lied, didn't communicate and FB reflected my satisfaction

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

if i put in a claim for Item not received and the seller offers to resend another, am i obliged to accept it?

No, you are not obliged to accept a replacement if you put in a claim, under paypal terms and conditions.

However, if the seller can provide valid proof of posting your original purchase and provide this to paypal, then you may end up with no goods and no refund.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

stonehaven10mel
Community Member

I don't agree with you alanawent3133. I have not received a purchase and have just escalated a INR dispute. The seller quoted 22-35 days for delivery from Hong Kong and I submitted my INR dispute at 36 days. I escalated it today (day 42) to a claim and have stated I want a refund not replacement product as the replacement would not get here in time to be covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. Not everyone is a scammer.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

If you open a dispute for item not received in Paypal all the seller has to do to win is supply a valid tracking number, if they sent without tracking all they have to do is send a replacement with valid tracking, provide the tracking to Paypal and they will find in the seller's favour so no, if the seller knows what they are doing you have no choice but to accept a replacement.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

PJ they may be able to force the issue but it would get a neg from for doing so and wasting my time.

once I have lost confidence in a seller its over as far as I am concerned

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

jtanura
Community Member

From my experience of buying through Ebay since 2004, Item-Not-Received has only happened once & was naive about filing a case through Paypal etc... in the mean time I was asked by the Seller to wait for another week and if the original item still had not arrived then a replacement would be sent, I ethically responded to such gesture by promising if the original and replacement item ever arrived that I'd pay the second time for the replacement.

While waiting, unaware of Paypal 45-day deadline thing,,, I never heard nor did I ever get a reply from the Seller , ever again !

So the answer to your query, I would stick to a Refund !

Finally, I find a comment "A scammer wants a refund.... " is utterly childish, inconsiderate, immature & foolish.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply