jewellery sellers

chook62
Community Member

Beware of jewellery sellers saying something is gold (9K, 14K 18K ect), when it is stamped copper.  There is a seller in Australia who strangeley thinks this behaviour is OK? Apparently I was told this can be reported to Jewlery Association of Australia.  If you are going to buy jewellery, please check it with your local jewellery before you leave positive feedback. If it is not white gold etc and real stones/gems complain to EBAY straight away. Otherwise, the seller I came across is getting away with customers monies because most of them are obviously not checking their purchased items.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

jewellery sellers

Are they pricing them what a genuine item would cost, or are they selling them cheap? Some people don't mind having a fake lookalike when they're getting it cheap. Others are too naive to know. When it comes to anything like that, it's buyer beware. Do you have an item number of one of the offending listings? Don't mention the seller name, just the item number.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

Hi tippy toes

I hear what you are saying, but as far as I am concerned I need jewellery that is not stamped **bleep**olia.  It also can be reported as I mentioned in my post.  Some of these metals can cause serious skin issues and no matter what the price is - sellers cannot falsely advertise metals - does not matter what price.  When this seller has been busted for this - the seller does not answer the customers.  The seller advertises the same karat of gold and it is all stamped in the same font.  So I would like to see these sellers not get their monies, until the buyers check out all jewellery and then rate them on feedback.  Please give the dodgy ones negative feedback so others don't get scammed.  Most sellers are absolutely brilliant, but there are a few that EBAY need to pull into line.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

I agree with you chooks.

Cheap costume jewellery is one thing. People may like it & that's fine, but a seller falsely claiming something is eg 9k gold if it is not-that is not on.

Buyers need the truth about what metal is used. Or sellers can leave it out of the description altogether & just say it is costume jewellery.

If I got an item represented as gold and it wasn't, it was stamped as copper or whatever, I would open a not as described case.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

Thanks for your comment springyzone.  For years I have always gone by my jewellers speech to me - he always says  "keep your jewellery classy and classic - good pieces last forever - junk lasts for 5 minutes (if you are lucky)!

Words of Wisdom.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

Hi Chook; My problem is there are no actual jewellers anywhere near me! I'm within less than 10 km of 3 lge Westfield & etc owned big shopping centres & there are another 2 mega centres a 20 min drive away. All the same; With the same chainstore jewellery shops - & not a real jeweller in any store!

Gone are the days of the reputable High St family owned jewellery shop. Who can you trust to evaluate your goods these days? Not the "name brand" stores!  I'd be very wary of leaving an item for evaluation with the choice of stores near me!

I once needed a silver infill on my Irish Grandfather's Claddagh ring. Left it @ Prouds. The supposedly silver infill weld lasted 1 week! (The ring had had to be cut off) The job was shoddy & they told me they took moulds of the antique ring in order to make more! At no time did I give them authorisation to do so! My daughter now wears the ring with a gap in the back; Rather than take it to another shonky jeweller! It pinches occasionally; But she wears her Great Granddad's ring with pride! 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

I agree with you about saying something is one thing but it's really another. Unfortunately, eBay aren't in a hurry to stop these people. Usually they are Chinese and the Chinese are the untouchables. They can do whatever they like with no ramifications. All you can really do is warn people through negative feedback. You could try reporting them, but I feel you'd be wasting your time.

Can you post an item number of a listing? Don't mention the sellers name, just the item number.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

Hi tippy toes

Normally I would never, ever buy jewellery from China, I only buy small/cheap items.

This is the item no: 322499379332.  Also found out that this so-called gemologist seller, selling GENUINE stones is selling GLASS stones in the case of this item.  In the sellers email to me they test everything and everything is earth mined.  What a croc!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

@chook62 wrote:

Hi tippy toes

Normally I would never, ever buy jewellery from China, I only buy small/cheap items.

This is the item no: 322499379332.  Also found out that this so-called gemologist seller, selling GENUINE stones is selling GLASS stones in the case of this item.  In the sellers email to me they test everything and everything is earth mined.  What a croc!

When I looked up the item I saw it was second hand and part of a deceased estate & at first thought-maybe the seller didn't know it wasn't genuine. But they seemed to know everything else-size of ring etc.

Then I woke up the seller is someone who is in the business of buying jewellery & onselling.

A few others in their feedback mention the gold or the stones are not genuine. This would ring alarm bells for me. I believe if anyone sets themselves up to sell jewellery on a regular basis, as this person does, they need to have it properly assessed. You can't just pretend to be an expert in heirlooms and claim stones are topaz or metals are gold unless you know that is accurate.

How can the seller claim everything is earth mined anyway if half the stuff is from deceased estates or second hand?

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

jewellery sellers

Hi springyzone

thanks for your reply .  I think this seller was originally from UK and maybe buying from one of his dodgy countrymen - from what I can gather from some social media information.  As a preference I do not buy from UK and a great deal of China because their feedback is generally not as good as my normal sources.  I'm sure there are great sellers in these places, but that is my prefence and I like to try to buy from Australian sellers (if possible). I noticed that there was negative feedback, but it if you look closely, there are very few complaints for the amount he has sold - so I am assuming that most of his customers did not check their purchases? I

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply