opened dispute, seller may be stalling, is there a time limit for disputes?

Hi

I bought an item, didnt arrive, opened dispute,

i dont know if the seller is stalling until some cut off time or something.

first, they asked me to wait a week to see if it arrives

then they asked me to visit my local post office to check, post office said the same thing the online tracking said,

now they have said "Hi, Thank you for the message. In such case we will make a complaint at the post office but it will last some time to check the whole package route. Please let us know in case you will receive the item. Once again sorry for all inconveniences."

i opened the dispute on 26th august, a week after the items expected arrival date, and it has been 20 days since i opened the dispute

i feel like there might be some cut off date for escalating to ebay, and that the seller knows about it and is trying to get past that date, but i dont know for sure.

is there a cutoff date?

is this seller just stalling, or are they legit?

should i escalate this to ebay or should i keep waiting for the seller?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: opened dispute, seller may be stalling, is there a time limit for disputes?

What did the tracking say?

I don't know that you will be able to escalate. There is a time limit, but I don't know what it is.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

australia post tracking said "Sorry, RR906225871PL is not trackable."

https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/#/search

RR906225871PL

there is still a button to escalate to ebay in the dispute page

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

"Sorry, <tracking number> is not trackable"

i was going to leave the tracking number in this message so people could see, but it was marked as spam

there is still a button on the dispute page "ask us to step in and help"
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

It very much sounds like stalling to me

Was this from the seller in China?  (very very common tactic there, they hope people won't know they have 6 months in PayPal to open a dispute)

I *think* in eBay it is still 30 days after the last estimated delivery date , so I would ask eBay to step in,if it were me

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

they are in Poland
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@robking1,

You must ask eBay to step in no later than 21 business days after opening the dispute.

❝If neither the buyer nor the seller asks us to step in within 21 business days of reporting that they didn't receive an item, the request closes automatically.❞ (eBay Money Back Guarantee Policy)

Your seller could well be stalling, but it's also possible that the vagaries of international shipping have simply delayed your parcel and your seller is sure it will still get to you. However it may be, if you don't escalate / ask eBay to step in within 21 business days, your eBay dispute will be closed and you won't be able to re-open it.

I am a little confused about your dates, though. You say it's been 20 days since you opened the dispute...?But it's only been 2 weeks today since 26th August - i.e., 10 business days.

You have until 20th September at the very latest to ask eBay to step in, if you opened the dispute on 26th August. I would probably send a message to the seller (within the dispute) saying that your item has still not arrived, and that since the parcel is now well past the latest Estimated Delivery Date, you would like to be refunded. In the event that the parcel arrives, you will repay for the item. You ask for the refund to be actioned by [date], after which time you will be asking eBay to step in. (The [date] could be, for instance, 12th September, which adds just a few more days on for the parcel to arrive.)

For the record... if you'd missed the time to escalate, and your eBay dispute timed out, you could then still open a PayPal dispute.

You do still have a little time in hand, so no need to act instantly. I'd just keep an eye on the timeframe, and I would escalate no later than 2 days before the deadline, in case of any technical issues, etc.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I'd escalate it with ebay.

Even though you have opened it, you can't just wait or it will time out and if it does that, you won't be able to re-open it, although you would be able to open a paypal dispute.

I think you've waited long enough. Due date was presumably around 19th Aug and you opened the dispute on 26th Aug. It's now 9 Sept so i think you've already given it a fair time over the due date.

Whatever you decide, don't let it go till right down to the wire, time wise, because things could happen, internet could go down, ebay could be playing up, you might get busy and just forget. Do it while there is time to spare, as countess advised.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@robking1 wrote:

australia post tracking said "Sorry, RR906225871PL is not trackable."

https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/#/search

RR906225871PL

there is still a button to escalate to ebay in the dispute page

@robking1,

The tracking number can be tracked here.

In summary:

Number: RR906225871PL
Package status: In transit

2019-07-25 16:06, WER Warszawa, Sent from Poland
2019-07-23 22:44, WER Zabrze, Item arrived
2019-07-23 21:16, UP Tychy 1, Package sent
2019-07-23 18:00, Package in transportation
2019-07-23 16:08, UP Tychy 1, Posted
======================================

The parcel is very probably going to arrive, but there are no tracking events after 25th August, which means it probably hasn't arrived in Australia yet.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply