over charge on postage, advice required

Hi everyone, I recently purchased two items, boots and shoes, this was on the 4/12, I wrote to the buyer the next day, requesting combined postage (which was mentioned on her listing) she sent me an invoice with both @ 13.50 each total $27.00, and told me to pay and she will refund the difference, I sent a 2nd email on the 5/12 and the 3rd on the 7/12, again requesting  a combined invoice.  On the 8th, I received her reply stating that I was to pay the full amount and if I do not pay by the following day the items would be relisted.

keep in mind before your read her answer below, that the listing ended on the evening of the 4/12 and I paid on the morning of the 8/12

I paid the full amount, the following morning of the 8th.  The next day I received a refund of $6, bringing the postage down to 21, still a bit over the top, but acceptable.  The parcel has arrived in an ebay 3 kg bag which would be around $12 - 14 her original listing stated postage at 13.50 per item.

I wrote requesting a futher refund as the postage over charge was excessive

HER REPLY IS BELOW

I would like your opinion on this transaction - am I being unreasonsable? 

My thoughts are that this is not the ebay way, I have two sites, and have even refunded as little as 95cents rather than overcharge.

Naturally she would like the boots back, as they are worth far more than $45.00

Should this seller be reported and who do I report her too?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: over charge on postage, advice required

Good morning bsal6 160 – Fair enough, it appears from most people’s comments that I have over reacted to being over charged the 7.50

Thank you

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Good morning Davwil1964,

Yes you are right, this is my first time on the board, I have been a member with this account since 2005 and 2004 with our main account, no real dramas, and if this seller had been a bit more helpful and the second last email not so threatening, I would not have even notice that postage cost.

I have not ignore you or any of the other posts, just a busy weekend, and then I needed time to think, did I overreact? Yes I was annoyed, Yes initially I was happy to pay the $21.

I am happy to pay a more few $’s for postage, but I truly believe that $7.50 over the top, many times (and I am sure you have also) I have read the fine print where the seller states a list of extra charges, bubble wrap, packing, etc, This is acceptable, because it is up front.

Anyway, my question to the board, is this fair? And is it acceptable – and it appears that the majority rules and it is fair and it is acceptable.

Thank you again for your advice.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

*hard hat on*

I get really cross when I get charged excessive postage.

Often you don't know until you receive an item exactly how it will be packaged or posted etc.

It irks me a whole heap when a seller charges me for a 3 kg satchel and sends it in a 500g one. I once had a seller wsend over 1kg of stuff in the 500g satchel - to me that's theft and fraud.

It does depend on the price of the item too though, If I paid a fair bit, then $7 extra isn't too bad.

I've also paid some highish prices for things that could have been sent much more cheaply too, but I have to say that the few items I'm thinking about there have been impeccably presented etc, so softened the blow a bit iykwim.

At the end of the day though, unless it is like the blatant postage fraud I mentioned above, I do accept that the postage price is part of the overall cost when I purchase.

I have asked sellers to clarify their postage prices (ie just bought a pair of earrings, postage was regular post for $14. I pointed out they could go as a large letter with registered post for about $5 or even a SOD satchel for a lot less than $14.

They came back with a $6 post charge, so I was happy about that.

I think a lot of sellers aren't really aware of true postage costs and have a bit of a stab in the dark and hope for the best kinda thing.

But to be fair, it is swings and roundabouts a lot of the time, sometimes you get cheap postage, other times you pay a bit more.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

"I have asked sellers to clarify their postage prices (ie just bought a pair of earrings, postage was regular post for $14. I pointed out they could go as a large letter with registered post for about $5 or even a SOD satchel for a lot less than $14"

I would have told you perhaps look elsewhere if you felt the the total price was excessive.  Would you still have asked for a price clarification if they had charged ($X +$14) with "FREE POST"" as opposed to $X and $14 post.  Similiarly the OP wouldn't had any reduction for multiple items if both had "Free Post", and the buyer wouldn't be suggesting low stars for postage and negs or neutrals but in actual fact would have have paid more for their postage.  And guess what the postage is included in the price when its free unless the seller wants to go broke.  Seems its OK for eBay to rip off sellers and buyers with the free post myth but if a seller charges above postage face value its a major crime.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

you may want to read my post again.

BTW, it was an auction, I was prepared to spend $80. Otherwise I would not have bid. I asked before the auction concluded, I wanted to know the maximum amount I could bid.

I hope that is ok with you.

I did not wait until I won the auction and then query the postage price.

The seller could quite easily have said, nope, that's the price.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

"BTW, it was an auction, I was prepared to spend $80. Otherwise I would not have bid. I asked before the auction concluded, I wanted to know the maximum amount I could bid."

So what if it was an auction.  Why don't you try reading my comments carefully - would you have asked about postage costs if it had have been free post.  That was my point.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

why would free post matter in an auction? It doesn't change the amount I am prepared to bid or believe the item to be worth (to me)

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Like wise Why would postage cost matter in an auction? It doesn't change the amount you are prepared to bid or believe the item to be worth.  Except you have to do a subtraction sum to work out your max bid ie 80 - 14 or 80 - 5 or 80 - 0, however with the first example were the postage is more than face value you will get your knickers in a twist, and think you have been ripped off, cf if it was free were you wouldn't know what the seller has costed postage at or care.  In each case you paid $80 but somehow paying $66 plus $14 dollars is a ripoff and payying $80 free post is OK. 

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

but they were really nice earrings and I really wanted em!

but OK, you're right, I'm wrong. Sorry 'bout that. Will try hard not to express my opinion again, ok?

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

OP I agree that being overcharged by $7.50 for actual post & packaging used is unfair.

I always assess post costs when deciding to buy goods. Any post pirate sellers do not get my business. Any post pirates that mislead me as to what type of post service I will get - get one PITA buyer 🙂

If I was overcharged $7.50 for 500 of the purchases I made over a couple of years on ebay I would have forked out more than THREE GRAND to line the pockets of post pirates who do more harm than good to the ebay trading environment. Pffft

I consider that post is a separate service cost over and above the costs of the goods purchased - as such the service costs should be fair and transparent in accordance with ebay policy and consumer protection legislation.

I only use total price as a guide in b&m - not on ebay and other internet purchases.

I have both a price In mind that I will pay for goods, in addition to a separate price that I am prepared to pay for shipping.
Message 20 of 23
Latest reply