over charge on postage, advice required

Hi everyone, I recently purchased two items, boots and shoes, this was on the 4/12, I wrote to the buyer the next day, requesting combined postage (which was mentioned on her listing) she sent me an invoice with both @ 13.50 each total $27.00, and told me to pay and she will refund the difference, I sent a 2nd email on the 5/12 and the 3rd on the 7/12, again requesting  a combined invoice.  On the 8th, I received her reply stating that I was to pay the full amount and if I do not pay by the following day the items would be relisted.

keep in mind before your read her answer below, that the listing ended on the evening of the 4/12 and I paid on the morning of the 8/12

I paid the full amount, the following morning of the 8th.  The next day I received a refund of $6, bringing the postage down to 21, still a bit over the top, but acceptable.  The parcel has arrived in an ebay 3 kg bag which would be around $12 - 14 her original listing stated postage at 13.50 per item.

I wrote requesting a futher refund as the postage over charge was excessive

HER REPLY IS BELOW

I would like your opinion on this transaction - am I being unreasonsable? 

My thoughts are that this is not the ebay way, I have two sites, and have even refunded as little as 95cents rather than overcharge.

Naturally she would like the boots back, as they are worth far more than $45.00

Should this seller be reported and who do I report her too?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
11 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

In the end you got a discount on the postage and it is best to ask what the total combined postage would be before you purchase not after.

You can leave feedback to say what you were charged and what the actual cost was and mark low on the postage costs DSR.

If they items are as described and you are happy then also let that be known in the feedback as well.

But the seller could have sent a combined postage invoice on request so there would be no need to refund any difference.

Sellers are not allowed to profit from postage but are entitled to charge the cost of packaging and postage and some packing can cost a lot depending how well items are packed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Why are you complaining now about postage cost? When you bid on the item you agreed to the sellers postage charge. A refund from the seller is generous but not mandatory so dont complain.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Thank you for your comments, if you read my email, I was happy to $21 for postage for a combined invoice, it was not until I received the parcel that I realised that I had actually paid $7 over the actual cost. 

I had tried to get the invoice revised, but the seller would not send one and I only paid the total amount of $27 because I was virtually threatened.

I do not believe that the buyer should have to pay for transport for a seller to buy a bag?

Reverse roles, would you accept a $7 overcharge, or if you did the same to a buyer, what would their reaction be?

Yes, in hindsight I should have asked for a postage quote prior to bidding.  Lesson learned for me.

My question was/is, is a $7 overcharge on actual postage costs fair?

And yes the product is good, the description acurated, so the seller does not deserve a negative, but there is that old word "principal

Thank you Again everyone

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Hi, just wondering if you had to sign for the package? The cost breakdown of an eBay 3kg satchel, as you know, is:

Plastic satchel = $0.35 each (if bought in a 5 pack)

Postage cost = $11.70

Signature Required = $2.95

Were the shoes in a box? A small sum should be allocated to the box and bubble wrap, say $1.50, to safely protect your items.

Total = $16.50

If this was the case, I would definitely accept a $4.50 overcharge for high quality boots etc. If the parcel did require a signature, it might have been lodged at a PO after lining up etc. rather than being placed in the nearest street posting box. A seller's time & effort should be valued in this instance. Of course, this is a speculative explanation...

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

@b.bight24 wrote:

Thank you for your comments, if you read my email, I was happy to $21 for postage for a combined invoice, it was not until I received the parcel that I realised that I had actually paid $7 over the actual cost. 

I had tried to get the invoice revised, but the seller would not send one and I only paid the total amount of $27 because I was virtually threatened.

I do not believe that the buyer should have to pay for transport for a seller to buy a bag?

Reverse roles, would you accept a $7 overcharge, or if you did the same to a buyer, what would their reaction be?

Yes, in hindsight I should have asked for a postage quote prior to bidding.  Lesson learned for me.

And yes the product is good, the description acurated, so the seller does not deserve a negative, but there is that old word "principal

Thank you Again everyone

Yes. Because I purchase having regard to total price and I don't care how much it costs to post as long as I get what I bought in the condition described, in a timely manner, at the PRICE I WAS PREPARED TO PAY.

As green gifts has said, there are a lot of costs associated with postage that don't show up on the label.

If they used a standard AP red and blue 3kg satchel, I think they run $14.30. Before any packaging. Or SOD.

A seller is entitled to charge cost of packaging, AND time to prepare the order for posting, on top of postage charge.

You got your items, in advertised condition, in a timely manner, for the price YOU AGREED TO.

What is the issue? You should be leaving positive feedback with 5 stars across the board.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

It seems to me that you expect postage to be an exact match to Aust post charges. You state you have refunded as little as 95c.

I think that is the wrong slant to put on it.

People are entitled to extra because they hd to prepare it for posting, addressing it, getting it to a post ofice etc

It is posting and Handling.

Let's look at it from te point of view of the seller.

She did combine postage, she charged you less than the 2 single charges. You say you got the boots at a bargain price.

You got them in a good time frame.

You paid a bit extra for postage and hndling than you expected.

But on the whole, it asa  good transaction. Just mark her down on the postage costs if you still think they are unfair.

She did explain her reasoning to you, that she made a special trip in to post your item..

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Hi greengifts, this was a standard 11.70 bag, no signature, boots and shoes simply shoved into the bag.  Thank you

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Refer my previous post.

As an aside, I don't think I've ever brought a 'problem' to the boards.

A little bit of reading of them will generally give an idea of board-think. And I would never post a question and then ignore the answers from members with more experience than I have. But that's just me.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Good morning Sparklz,

Yes you are right, I should have asked the postage prior to bidding, but as it was a last minute (well 20 minutes actually) I just went with it.

Yes, the seller could have been a bit more helpful with a combined invoice, but kept insisting on receiving full payment, I will also add that my copied email was just one of many, and the second last before payment request, made me feel very threatened.

Yes the goods are in excellent order, no problems.

I usually do not take that much notice of postage paid and received, but this one was very obvious, and yes the seller does have the right to add a small amount for packaging etc, but a profit of 7.50 on top of all the hassles, was a bit much.

BUT after reading all of the comments, it appears that I over reacted and most people would accept the over charge.  Which is what I will do, I have also said that I will not leave a negative, but will take you advice regarding the rating for postage.

Thank you again.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply

Good morning bsal6 160 – Fair enough, it appears from most people’s comments that I have over reacted to being over charged the 7.50

Thank you

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Good morning Davwil1964,

Yes you are right, this is my first time on the board, I have been a member with this account since 2005 and 2004 with our main account, no real dramas, and if this seller had been a bit more helpful and the second last email not so threatening, I would not have even notice that postage cost.

I have not ignore you or any of the other posts, just a busy weekend, and then I needed time to think, did I overreact? Yes I was annoyed, Yes initially I was happy to pay the $21.

I am happy to pay a more few $’s for postage, but I truly believe that $7.50 over the top, many times (and I am sure you have also) I have read the fine print where the seller states a list of extra charges, bubble wrap, packing, etc, This is acceptable, because it is up front.

Anyway, my question to the board, is this fair? And is it acceptable – and it appears that the majority rules and it is fair and it is acceptable.

Thank you again for your advice.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

In the end you got a discount on the postage and it is best to ask what the total combined postage would be before you purchase not after.

You can leave feedback to say what you were charged and what the actual cost was and mark low on the postage costs DSR.

If they items are as described and you are happy then also let that be known in the feedback as well.

But the seller could have sent a combined postage invoice on request so there would be no need to refund any difference.

Sellers are not allowed to profit from postage but are entitled to charge the cost of packaging and postage and some packing can cost a lot depending how well items are packed.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Why are you complaining now about postage cost? When you bid on the item you agreed to the sellers postage charge. A refund from the seller is generous but not mandatory so dont complain.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Thank you Again everyone

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Hi, just wondering if you had to sign for the package? The cost breakdown of an eBay 3kg satchel, as you know, is:

Plastic satchel = $0.35 each (if bought in a 5 pack)

Postage cost = $11.70

Signature Required = $2.95

Were the shoes in a box? A small sum should be allocated to the box and bubble wrap, say $1.50, to safely protect your items.

Total = $16.50

If this was the case, I would definitely accept a $4.50 overcharge for high quality boots etc. If the parcel did require a signature, it might have been lodged at a PO after lining up etc. rather than being placed in the nearest street posting box. A seller's time & effort should be valued in this instance. Of course, this is a speculative explanation...

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

@b.bight24 wrote:

Thank you Again everyone

Yes. Because I purchase having regard to total price and I don't care how much it costs to post as long as I get what I bought in the condition described, in a timely manner, at the PRICE I WAS PREPARED TO PAY.

As green gifts has said, there are a lot of costs associated with postage that don't show up on the label.

If they used a standard AP red and blue 3kg satchel, I think they run $14.30. Before any packaging. Or SOD.

A seller is entitled to charge cost of packaging, AND time to prepare the order for posting, on top of postage charge.

You got your items, in advertised condition, in a timely manner, for the price YOU AGREED TO.

What is the issue? You should be leaving positive feedback with 5 stars across the board.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

It seems to me that you expect postage to be an exact match to Aust post charges. You state you have refunded as little as 95c.

I think that is the wrong slant to put on it.

People are entitled to extra because they hd to prepare it for posting, addressing it, getting it to a post ofice etc

It is posting and Handling.

Let's look at it from te point of view of the seller.

She did combine postage, she charged you less than the 2 single charges. You say you got the boots at a bargain price.

You got them in a good time frame.

You paid a bit extra for postage and hndling than you expected.

But on the whole, it asa  good transaction. Just mark her down on the postage costs if you still think they are unfair.

She did explain her reasoning to you, that she made a special trip in to post your item..

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Hi greengifts, this was a standard 11.70 bag, no signature, boots and shoes simply shoved into the bag.  Thank you

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Refer my previous post.

As an aside, I don't think I've ever brought a 'problem' to the boards.

A little bit of reading of them will generally give an idea of board-think. And I would never post a question and then ignore the answers from members with more experience than I have. But that's just me.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Good morning Sparklz,

Yes you are right, I should have asked the postage prior to bidding, but as it was a last minute (well 20 minutes actually) I just went with it.

Yes, the seller could have been a bit more helpful with a combined invoice, but kept insisting on receiving full payment, I will also add that my copied email was just one of many, and the second last before payment request, made me feel very threatened.

Yes the goods are in excellent order, no problems.

I usually do not take that much notice of postage paid and received, but this one was very obvious, and yes the seller does have the right to add a small amount for packaging etc, but a profit of 7.50 on top of all the hassles, was a bit much.

BUT after reading all of the comments, it appears that I over reacted and most people would accept the over charge.  Which is what I will do, I have also said that I will not leave a negative, but will take you advice regarding the rating for postage.

Thank you again.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply