overcharging postage

dn1940
Community Member

I recently looked at a camera, the postage from Queensland Australia to New Sourth Wales Australia was quoted express $130. I have sent the other direction for under$30. The seller has not answered my messages about this. Should I report them to ebay

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: overcharging postage

If in doubt don't buy, especially if the seller isn't communicating. Don't be tempted by something that looks too good to be true!!!

I probably wouldn't report them, but I wouldn't consider buying either unless I got a very good explanation as to the breakdown of postage costs from that seller.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Depends what delivery service they are using, if it was something like pqack & send with full tracking and insurance then it could be pretty near the mark.

You know what the cost is up front so if you don't feel happy with it don't use that seller.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Not sure why people worry about postage costs that are published as high postage costs will reflect the sale price of the item, that is high postage items won't generally fetch the higher bids that a lower postage cost item will attract. Only the included price matters what the item costs overall for purchase and delivery. Sometimes high postage cost items sell cheaper overall when bidders avoid such listings.

In this case, the postage cost probably includes full insurance perhaps?  

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I search by lowest price plus postage so I don't really care how much of the total is ascribed to the item or delivery. Of course the one with the highest postage should be the cheapest of all as they are saving the most fvf. If it is blatent overcharging then I look very carefully at the description and at their feedback as often if they are prepared to do one thing wrong there may be other transgretions!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I know everyone says that if you don't like the overall price then don't bid/buy, but there is also another reason not to buy from a seller who charges above and beyond for postage. Your overall price might still be reasonable once the massive postage costs are added but in all honesty I still will not buy from someone who is trying to avoid ebays fees by overcharging on postage purely because I see it as if they are willing to do that then they are more likely to attempt to rip me off too.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Are you still watching this auction to see if anyone else buys the camera and pays that postage cost?

If you really want to buy this camera keep sending messages to the seller asking them why the postage is so high.  Ask them what size the camera box is and how much the camera weighs and then go onto the Aust Post web site and calculate the postage costs yourself.  The right area to work out postage costs on the Aust Post web site =:  http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

I would never pay that much for postage costs.  It sounds very wrong to me. 

If the seller never replies to your messages complain to ebay.  Or look up this sellers name, address and contact phone number and ring them up and ask them over the phone why they don't reply to your ebay messages.  Wishing you good luck 🙂

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

All that will probably do, about halfway through the process, is get the OP blocked.

If postage is considered excessive, buy somewhere else. It is unlikely a seller who charges that level of postage is going to change because they get bombed by a single prospective buyer.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@smiling.susan2011 wrote:

If the seller never replies to your messages complain to ebay.  Or look up this sellers name, address and contact phone number and ring them up and ask them over the phone why they don't reply to your ebay messages.  

keep smiling susan, generally speaking you can't just look up this sellers name, address and contact phone number and ring them up if you are interested in their item and not happy with their postage rate (of course, the exception being where a seller includes such information in their listing).

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply