plant has arrived damaged

Hey everyone,
Just need your 2 cents worth on this. I won a plant auction, and upon paying my message to the seller was asking if it would be sent bare rooted or potted, as well as a picture of the plant in the packaging and a tracking number. There's no response, and the next day ebay notifies me that the plant is being sent.
I message the seller again, and his response 1 day later is "sorry I did not see your message, it has been sent bare rooted". I am upset as I would have been willing to pay extra if he mentioned bare rooted.
Anyway the plant arrives and it is clearly damaged as the tip and 2 leaves are broken. It was ripped out of its pot and banged into a zip lock and into a box, with no wet tissue around the roots and not secure in the box
The pieces of bark were like rockets inside the bag hence the damage. The seller also then shows me a picture of the tracking number, where upon checking, has been sent from a location different from what he advertised. I message him and tell him all the detailswith no response.
I then proceed to open a case file and ask for a refund. He immediately responds asking for my phone number so he can call me to 'sort it'.
Any advice?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: plant has arrived damaged

@justinwong86 wrote:

Hey everyone,
Just need your 2 cents worth on this. I won a plant auction, and upon paying my message to the seller was asking if it would be sent bare rooted or potted, as well as a picture of the plant in the packaging and a tracking number. There's no response, and the next day ebay notifies me that the plant is being sent.
I message the seller again, and his response 1 day later is "sorry I did not see your message, it has been sent bare rooted". I am upset as I would have been willing to pay extra if he mentioned bare rooted.
Anyway the plant arrives and it is clearly damaged as the tip and 2 leaves are broken. It was ripped out of its pot and banged into a zip lock and into a box, with no wet tissue around the roots and not secure in the box
The pieces of bark were like rockets inside the bag hence the damage. The seller also then shows me a picture of the tracking number, where upon checking, has been sent from a location different from what he advertised. I message him and tell him all the detailswith no response.
I then proceed to open a case file and ask for a refund. He immediately responds asking for my phone number so he can call me to 'sort it'.
Any advice?

As long as the root system is not damaged, the plant should be fine. Plants can go into shock and take time to recover. The seller should have put in something moist to keep the roots in contact with water. Just monitor the plant over the next couple of weeks maybe.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Plants and animals are prohibited goods by Australia Post. Use a taxi next time. It might arrive undamaged or eaten...
Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:

Plants and animals are prohibited goods by Australia Post. Use a taxi next time. It might arrive undamaged or eaten...

Some are, some are not. Sections D3.5 and D5 are the relevant ones :-

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/dangerous-and-prohibited-goods-guide...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

We owned a garden nursery for around 20 years and imported plants from interstate regularly.

Many plants are only allowed to be sent across state borders in bare root form. Potted plants can contain soil born pathogens that are deadly to fruit industries and sending them interstate can incur heavy fines. The only way you may be able to do this is to have the soil professionally treated and obtain a permit.

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/biosecurity-matters/domestic-travel 

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Wjhat kind of packing did you use around the root? I have heard that a cardboard box with polystyrene is used. Did you do it that way?

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply