quarantine permit

Does anyone know anything about quarantine permits so as you can import food product from the US.
Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: quarantine permit

you still may get a letter from customs.
Message 21 of 49
Latest reply

Why? The (AQIS or mail service?) have already told the OP by email the item will not be released and will either be returned to the sender or destroyed. 

Message 22 of 49
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Don't you find it quite expensive postage/shipping wise Michelle, to have food items sent from overseas?

I'm sure she does, but maybe Michelle's animals are intelligent enough to appreciate it. Smiley LOL

Message 23 of 49
Latest reply

If it was pet food/supplements, the following may explain why the op's parcel was intercepted.

What will the Department of Agriculture remove from international mail items?

The following information is a basic guide to goods you should not mail to Australia.

Any items that contain insects or larvae will be seized and must be treated at the recipient’s expense or destroyed.

collapse sectionMeat and meat products

• all uncanned meat—including fresh, dried, frozen, cooked, smoked, salted or preserved meat
  • packaged meals (including noodles) containing meat 
  • mooncakes containing meat 
  • remedies and medicines containing animal material 
  • pet food including canned and dried food and supplements.

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/mail/cant-mail

Message 24 of 49
Latest reply

She said the information was on the tracking and she also got an email from FedEx. She hasn't said she got an email from customs.
Message 25 of 49
Latest reply

It was sent thru the GSP. The seller said in that case parcel shouldn't have been inspected by customs. He' waiting to see what ebay can do but I doubt nothing. I've done my dough.
Message 26 of 49
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Every parcel can be inspected by customs ... So you are saying drug dealers should send drugs via GSP because they can't be inspected?
Message 27 of 49
Latest reply

Yes Michelle you have definitely done your dough. 

Using the GSP would have made the postage very expensive....did you realise how much it was going to be before you bought the item?

As for the seller saying the item should not be inspected by Customs...he is very wrong.  Bulk shipped items coming via courier services are probably more thoroughly inspected than items arriving in the ordinary mail.

Pitney Bowes charge exorbitant fees to prepare the Customs paperwork for the GSP service and I believe that it is not doing a very good job.  A lot of parcels are being rejected by Customs purely because the Customs Declarations are not in order.  We have heard over the grapevine that FedEx has a higher percentage of items seized by Customs than the other couriers because of the GSP.

Message 28 of 49
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Does anyone know anything about quarantine permits so as you can import food product from the US.

I would imagine that a Quarantine Permit, if such a thing even exists, would not let you import food products without having them subject to quarantine inspection, especially if you have multiple casual suppliers of a product sourced from eBay.

If the items that have been stopped are not allowed then they are not allowed.  Stop buying them on eBay.

Message 29 of 49
Latest reply

Just curious, why would you buy petfood from the USA?     Plenty of good stuff sold here.  Just interested as I have pets and wonder

what the US offers that we don't.    Cat Happy

Message 30 of 49
Latest reply