"BNWT"

The other day I left neutral feedback for a pair of mens' short I bought online, here at Ebay.   I paid $45.00 plus postage which was the 'buy now' price.  That seemed reasonable since that's about the going price for similar "BNWT" CR shorts on Ebay.

The seller has just contacted me, most politely, to point out that although she did wash them, they had never been worn and so she listed them "BNWT".

In all fairness, aside from the slight wash wear, they are in very good condition.  Was i incorrect to leave neutral feedback?  

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

"BNWT"

Has the seller asked you to revise the feedback?

Strictly speaking, BNWT have to be exactly that, in the same condition as having been bought in a store.

If the shorts were damaged by the washing, a neutral would be fair, if still wearable...it would be a personal decision.

Totally ruined, a neg.

If you feel you were too harsh you can ask the seller to send you a revise feedback request 🙂

But I do not see how a garment can be washed with the tags on it...did it even have the tags?

That is another consideration you see.

BNWT meaning brand new With Tags.

In this situation it depends on whether you are still overall happy with the transaction.

But I hate sellers who list as brand new with tags when it is not. Would I leave a neutral? Depends on the condition, probably I would not have. But I would wonder if they had been worn if the tags had been removed...then washed...

If ONLY sellers read the rules and followed them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

In the feedback you left you say BNWOT,

so that is Brand new without tags, so it would not have had tags at all.

The seller says that they washed it.  But no tags.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

So were they BNWT or BNWOT?

Either way, if you feel bad, ask the seller for a revision request. If you want to change the feedback.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/feedback/revision-request.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

The item was listed as new without tags both in title and condition specifics - most people take NWOT to mean identical to coming straight from a store, just without tags or retail packaging (so unworn, unwashed etc).

eBay's full definition of new without tags is: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item that is not in original retail packaging or may be missing original retail packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached.

...and I think a number of sellers don't see washing an item as using it, even though technically it is because it can cause a variety of things from colour fade (even if minimal) to having fabric stretch or become misshapen if due care isn't taken - that is, it's sometimes worse than wearing it for a little while, which would also technically make it used. 

Because of that, though, I wouldn't necessarily say the seller indended to mislead with the condition they chose. In regards to feedback, I can't say a neut is grossly unfair because the condition is technically a little different than advertised, but at the same time I personally would not leave less than positive for a seller without contacting them first and trying to resolve the situation amicably, and I also probably would have accepted their explanation and put it down as a genuine mistake (unless I could see evidence it was done consistently). 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

Thank you for your advice and replies.  After carefull consideration of your replies I will ask the seller to send me a revisted feedback.- i actually didnt' realise that was an option, so thanks again . 🙂

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

🙂

Feedback revision can be done within thirty days of leaving it.

I am sure the seller will be happy 🙂

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

Would you have paid $45 if you knew the true condition of the garment ???

What amends has the seller offered?

Personally I would take these matters into consideration also.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

Would I have paid $45.00 ?  -  Maybe not.

No amends offered, however in all fairness I left the feedback without contacting her.

Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

"BNWT"

I guess the BNWT and BNWOT are pet hates of mine if they aren't done 100% right.

I think the seller was fair enough listing the item as BNWOT if it had never been worn, but absolutely, she should have mentioned the shorts had been washed.

In fact, if it had been my item, I would have been inclined not to list it as BNWOT if it had been washed, but explain it all in the ad.

As the catspjs says, what it comes down to is what would the buyer have bid if they knew the whole story, would they have been inclined to pay the whole $45, or would they have passed on it and waited for something else?

That is the bottom line-ads should be 100% accurate, without relevant details left out.

As for feedback, I don't know what i would do. I think neut is fair enouh, or else no feedback at all (which is probably what i would have opted for). But if i gave positive I would say something along the lines of expecting the item to be new, not washed.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply