"Best Offer" by eBay

Hi Team eBay,

eBay has given an option to the sellers to display "Best Offer" as a price option. It's a useless option given to the sellers to misguide the buyers and the sellers almost didn't agree with a legitimate offer.  I have had multiple experiences where sellers sent a counter offer just a few cents lower then the original price. or they didn't respond at all.  This is a nonsense feature developed by eBay without keeping the customers (Buyers) in mind. 

Recent example -  Product cost  Buy 1 - AUD $11.49, Buy 2- AUD $9.77

I offered AUD $10.49, the counteroffer received AUD $11.40. It's just $0.09 less than the original price.

There should have been a minimum discount to be accepted if it's mentioned as "BEST OFFER".  Otherwise, it's just wasting time for everyone (seller as well as buyer). Or maybe consider removing this non-sense pro seller feature. 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: "Best Offer" by eBay

@gumardee wrote:

Yes eBay does put best offer on automatically still. Ever thought that you were just being a cheapo?

Who me ?  Well if so that came right out of left field....................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

How is Padi being a cheapo exactly?

The OP is the one complaining about it 

The cheapo is the buyer(s) demanding more discounts than offered already

Spoiler

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Ah - there are 2 functions on Best Offer

1. Automatically decline offers below - seller puts in $ here.

2. Automatically accept offers over - seller puts $ in here.

And no - eBay does not automatically do Best Offer.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

EBay has put Best Offer on some of my listings. I haven't been able to work out the logic as to why some are picked. I now add best offer myself with minimal discount to counteract that

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

They used to do it to me regularly when I was selling

And then put it back again after I'd remove it 

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Hasn't happened so far - will keep an eye on it.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Ummm, yeah, they do. Had it happen plenty of times. They add best offer to my listings, I remove it, they put it back. Unhappy buyers when I decline an offer of $2 for my $40 item. Then to really ramp things up, often ebay will place auto accept on these items, so my $40 item will actually sell for $2 because ebay set it up that way without my knowledge. Then I get a neg because I refuse to sell my $40 item for $2. 

Remind me when you last sold something?

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

All items had a recommendation to add Best Offer - with the abiliity to accept or decline the offer amount.

So far eBay have not decided to do their best - but will keep my eye on it.

Could it be gotten around by ticking best offer and only accepting $1 less.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

@*sons_and_daughters* wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

Ummm, yeah, they do. Had it happen plenty of times. They add best offer to my listings, I remove it, they put it back. Unhappy buyers when I decline an offer of $2 for my $40 item. Then to really ramp things up, often ebay will place auto accept on these items, so my $40 item will actually sell for $2 because ebay set it up that way without my knowledge. Then I get a neg because I refuse to sell my $40 item for $2. 

Remind me when you last sold something?

As for the last bit - will keep you informed. 😀

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

I am  buyer only. 
Every-time, and I do mean EVERY-TIME I place something in my watch list, it generates an email *supposedly from the seller*….. saying “the seller has offered you a discount….blah blah blah….. “ which is usually about $2-$10 less than the listed price. 

About 4 weeks ago, I placed an item on my watch list that I loved. It was $240. I didn’t want to pay $240. I got an email offering it to me at $170.  I didn’t want to accept as this person is also on these boards.

I got my hubby to go to the actual listing and put in the offer of $170.  It was automatically declined and with a counter offer of $230. Put in another offer of $190 and again, automatically declined and a counter offer of $230 appeared once again. 

I don’t know WHO actually sent the email, or placed *make an offer* on the listing.

Either way, it resulted in a no-sale.

We gave up.

The item is now actually listed at $160.  I’m still thinking about it 😉

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 20 of 26
Latest reply