sellers avoiding feed back by using classified ads

many sellers  of motor vehicles and motor cycles are using classified ads and not the auction system or buy it now  that way they are avoiding  negative feedback  and i know from experence a lot of the stuff espeicially motor cycles  are  junk   so  do not by fron these sellers unless you can inspect the item yourself BEWARE

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Why would you not inspect any vehicle before purchase whether it's advertised on eBay or elsewhere ?

Caveat Emptor........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

That is the whole point of the Clasified Ads......you are put in touch with the seller through ebay and then it is between you and the seller.....ebay is not involved so why should you be able to use the feedback system.

If it is a full ebay listing then you are not allowed to inspect the items before buying.

You cannot have it both ways....as Padi says, who would buy a car without seeing it first.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I am guilty of this. But then it is for cars with known faults and are priced accordingly.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

sorry you just dont get it      lots of people buy vehicles based on seller discriptions   which in most cases are lies

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

in lots of cases the item in question is a long way from the potential buyer  so the buyer depends on an honest discription  which  is very rarely  accurate     so if things go wrong the seller  walks away with no comeback at all    i have seen it lots of times      

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@029sheilabilla wrote:

sorry you just dont get it      lots of people buy vehicles based on seller discriptions   which in most cases are lies

Well sorry to say this, if people do that and aren't prepared to take the risk or won't get an inspection done of the vehicle, then they are mugs. I would never spend my hard-earned on a car sight unseen, that's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Edit. In most, if not all, states in Australia the RAC will do vehicle examinations for a resonable cost.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@029sheilabilla wrote:

in lots of cases the item in question is a long way from the potential buyer  so the buyer depends on an honest discription  which  is very rarely  accurate     so if things go wrong the seller  walks away with no comeback at all    i have seen it lots of times      

Yes, and the ability to leave negative feedback fixes everything. Yeah?

No idea why anyone would buy a car off eBay, whether it be auction or classified ad. 

Did you know that people that advertise in the local paper, that's a classified ad? Did you know that you can't leave feedback for them either? Oh the horror!

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

From what I have seen of the ebay classified ads most of them are inserted by dealers and let's be honest, used car dealers don't have the best of reputations.

I don't know of anyone who would look at pictures of a car in a dealers yard and not want to at least test drive it.

There are plenty of websites with hundreds of used cars available but no matter what the seller say there is no way I would buy without seeing the car.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@029sheilabilla wrote:

Feedback is the least of your worries.

Apparently (so I have read) fraudulent car ads are rife, not so much on ebay but in newspapers, car sale sites etc.

A car comes up in a search, great photo, great price but then when you enquire, the car is interstate & it will need to be transported to you.

There is no car, the photos are stolen, if you pay in advance you'll lose your money. Well known scam.

If you're after a good car, you'll need to inspect first, if you're just after an old car for parts, then ebay might be a better place to buy than some others as at least an old bomb probably won't be over-praised in the ad.

But generally speaking, I'd say a car is something that is best inspected in person before buying.

Think of it this way-if you bought a second hand car, sight unseen, from most other sites where it is just a classified ad, it isn't as if you can depend on description there revealing every fault either and there is certainly no feedback so just tread with the same caution here.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply