shill bidding

is shill bidding is it illegal

Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: shill bidding

Hi so this isn't a case of Shill Bidding but I thought when you bid on ebay you are entering into a contract that states that you are a serious buyer and are bound by this contract to pay for what you bid on. Obviously things happen every now and then, but 11 retractions in 30 days, he's making a retraction every 3 days or so, and closer to every 2.5 days averaged over the 6 months.

What happens when people like this retract bids when they win auctions? Does the seller offer the item to the next highest bidder? Or do they relist?

Message 21 of 70
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

A buyer can not retract a bid after they win an auction...that would make them a Non Paying Bidder, which is an entirely different thing to shill bidding.

Message 22 of 70
Latest reply

Buyers do get sanctioned for too many withdrawals but it is up to the seller of the item to report them.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 23 of 70
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

but I thought when you bid on ebay you are entering into a contract that states that you are a serious buyer and are bound by this contract to pay for what you bid on.

That are eBay's terms but they are not enforceable by law.

As stated,the seller is the one that needs to report "bidders" like these as they will be able to see their full ID,(we can only see the a***g).

To avoid bidders like these just bid your maximum in the last ten seconds of the auction or get a sniping service to do it for you,(bidders like this do not allow for it),:-D

Message 24 of 70
Latest reply

Shill bidding is a topic which has been raised and debated throughout the ten-plus years since I first registered with ebay

It's cheating, in Aussie parlance

The responses encountered in the boards are of no assistance and never have been

When people have suggested ebay ENSURE people can ONLY register with ONE ID --- they're shouted down by those who claim people NEED to have at least 3 IDs:  ' One for selling.  One for buying.  And one for the boards '.   And they trot out the usual justifications

This of course, assists and facilitates shill bidding

as does ebay's (1) refusal (2) unwillingness (3) inability to ensure ' One person, One ID '

Clearly, ebay's profits would be down without shill bidding.  Ebay collects revenue from each item's end-price

Shill bidding pushing prices up

Ebay collects greater profits

So it's not in ebay's interests to curb shill bidding

And by not ensuring ' One person, One ID' -- ebay gains

How many driving licences are you permitted to use ?

How many Medicare cards are you permitted to use ?

How many vehicle registration documents are you permitted to hold on a vehicle ?

How many times are you permitted to register to vote in State and Federal elections ?

How many birth certificates are you permitted to have?

etc.

How many ebay IDs are you able to have simultaneously?  What -- six, ten, 300 ?

When someone has more than one ebay ID, they are able to shill bid their own item.  And they do

Ebay could very simply ensure each individual has only one ID -- therefore reducing shill-bidding -- but ebay has chosen throughout not to go that route, thereby allowing open slather re: shill bidding

Message 25 of 70
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

is shill bidding is it illegal

It's against eBay policy and the seller can be reported.

Shill bidding is a topic which has been raised and debated throughout the ten-plus years since I first registered with ebay

All that time and you don't have a clue about shill bidding,:O

The responses encountered in the boards are of no assistance and never have been.

:^O

When people have suggested ebay ENSURE people can ONLY register with ONE ID --- they're shouted down by those who claim people NEED to have at least 3 IDs:  ' One for selling.  One for buying.  And one for the boards '.   And they trot out the usual justifications

If you actually know why then you should understand why  members use more then one ID.

When someone has more than one ebay ID, they are able to shill bid their own item.  And they do

Sellers that have shill bidders use friends and family to do the shill bidding for them.

They do not register and use their own ID's,X-(

And by not ensuring ' One person, One ID' -- ebay gains

By not ensuring that sellers don't get auction bombed.

Buyers can keep their purchases separate or private.

Posting ID's can and are attacked but their other ID's are able to continue trading.

Ebay could very simply ensure each individual has only one ID -- therefore reducing shill-bidding -- but ebay has chosen throughout not to go that route, thereby allowing open slather re: shill bidding

As explained,that statement is incorrect,X-(

Please ensure that you know what you post is correct as posting incorrect information doesn't help anyone.

Message 26 of 70
Latest reply

NO, it does not, as all my IDs are in my name and connected to the same PP account.  If i tried to shill bid, I would be NARU in few moments.  As already pointed out, shill bidding is done from frind's/member of family ID, from their unconnected computer, cannot be proved and eBay cannot do much about it.  IF eBay was happy to allow shill bidding, they are free not to have rule that prohibits it.  Just imagine how much more money they could make, if they said to sellers to go for it!!!   Well, actually, i am not serious, because when people keep selling items to themselves and then cancel the sale, eBay would not be making more money.

Having several IDs is not any different than having several shops with different names.  For instance, person that sells second hand furniture, lingerie and books may have 3 selling IDs.  It is a good idea as buyer looking for furniture may not want to be looking through pages of books and knickers. 

I do not want my buyers to see what I am buying; it is none of their business.  I do not want to sell my "garage sale" type of stuff from my selling ID; that does not make you look very professional, does it?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 27 of 70
Latest reply

Hi again.

Maybe I'm seeing "Shill Bidders" under the bed, but can someone have a look at this.........

Citizens Arrest a light in the darkness Siege Dropdead Void wardance NYHC KBD

Check out the "Private Bidder" He\ She joined ebay around the same time this seller started selling.

This bidders number of feedbacks pretty much matches His/Hers feedbacks to this seller, and in the last 30 days has had 100 percent of their bids with this seller,no retractions though, but going back through prior auctions at least 2 items that this person bought, this seller sold identical items (which is a bit unusual when selling collectable records).

I dont know maybe I'm wrong but it looks like a lot of pushing up prices and not much buying.

Thanks

Matt

Message 28 of 70
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Your spot on there,definitely a shill bidder,X-(

They have been reported,:-D

Message 29 of 70
Latest reply

harddrive2012
Community Member

How bad is shill bidding on ebay? I have never come across it, yet!

Message 30 of 70
Latest reply