shipping costs

Hi..any buyers in Australia or NZ noticing a large hike in shipping costs from the UK but only if sent by the GSP pitney bowes in the last week or so.I'm talking double in some cases and has nothing to with taxes or gst etc.This is the shipping cost only before addons.I can only talk about NZ but would like to hear if the same in a Aust.Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shipping costs

GSP is done by Pitney Bowes. Unfortunately there are no representatives in this forum who can speak on behalf of Pitney Bowes, and explain why their charges have gone up. 

NZ is on the list of countries USPS won't currently ship using their standard services, not sure if prices from US sellers using the GSP has been adjusted similarly, but maybe the reason is along the lines of the postal services being used to ship to NZ under current circumstances have changed.  Maybe the sorting / re-distribution centre in the UK is in lockdown and they are trying to discourage purchases, and / or cover additional costs, while they operate at reduced capacity. Who really knows. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

shipping costs

If the seller doesn't upload the size and weight of the parcel the postage can be quite high if they are using the GSP.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

Thanks i realise that but these are clothing items that were 30nzd shipping cost plus charges and just a week later the shipping is 61nzd plus charges.The actual same item?..iv'e asked ebay but got the usual general answer.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

@chco_6552 wrote:

Hi..any buyers in Australia or NZ noticing a large hike in shipping costs from the UK but only if sent by the GSP pitney bowes in the last week or so.I'm talking double in some cases and has nothing to with taxes or gst etc.This is the shipping cost only before addons.I can only talk about NZ but would like to hear if the same in a Aust.Thanks.

Just an example why shipping could be going up

For the first time, the cost of shipping a container on the world's busiest shipping routes from China to Europe surpassed $US10,000 ($13,513), a rise of more than 500 per cent since June last year.

Shipping cost surge raises retail price pressures and inflation risks - ABC News

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

I'm talking $75 nz plus 20% import charge to ship a second hand shirt to nz.The shirt is $19 nz...i mean its ludicrous.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

There is no correlation between the price of an item you buy from a seller on Ebay (or anywhere else) and the cost of freight from a freight company

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

@chco_6552 wrote:

I'm talking $75 nz plus 20% import charge to ship a second hand shirt to nz.The shirt is $19 nz...i mean its ludicrous.

Not sure if you are aware Postal and courier services don't base their charges on the value of the item,  rather weight and dimensions.  Does sound a little high for what I imagine a shirt would weigh and dimensions,  but maybe consider buying from Australia.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

Try asking the seller if they will post Royal Mail rather than the GSP.

I buy from UK and USA at times and sellers are often prepared to use the local postal service as many have been opted into the GSP without knowing. (Especially if most of their sales are domestic).

Or as suggested, buy local. (My O.S. purchases are usually if something is not avail here)

image host
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

I know the  shipping cost has nothing to do with the value of the item,of course..all i am asking is why the price is, in some case,  double what it was last week for the same item...a couple of UK sellers i contacted were both unaware and dismayed as it will impact on the sales to NZ  buyers.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

shipping costs

GSP is done by Pitney Bowes. Unfortunately there are no representatives in this forum who can speak on behalf of Pitney Bowes, and explain why their charges have gone up. 

NZ is on the list of countries USPS won't currently ship using their standard services, not sure if prices from US sellers using the GSP has been adjusted similarly, but maybe the reason is along the lines of the postal services being used to ship to NZ under current circumstances have changed.  Maybe the sorting / re-distribution centre in the UK is in lockdown and they are trying to discourage purchases, and / or cover additional costs, while they operate at reduced capacity. Who really knows. 

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply